Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Builder track world
  • nathb
    Free Member

Looking at putting an offer in on a property, but the downstairs is really pokey.

I realise this is quite an imprecise way/open ended question but… how much roughly do you think it would cost (purely for building work/plaster finishing) to open this up by removing the walls, extending half way into the garage and placing an internal garage door?

nathb
    Free Member

or alternatively just the wall between the kitchen & dinning room…

nickjb
    Free Member

Just the one wall will be a lot cheaper. You could turn half the garage into a utility room to use the space better.

In terms of costs there are too many varaibles. Location, access, structural walls, etc but more than you think. Is there any scope to extend? I always reckon thats a lot better than just taking down walls.

nealglover
    Free Member

A friend has a very similar layout, they knocked the one wall out to make a larger kitchen/diner.
    Then divided the garage in half with stud wall, put an access doorway in.
    Meant they needed very little storage space in the kitchen, as all the larger stuff, and dry goods/tune etc. were stored in the pantry, plus washer dryer etc.

No idea what it cost, but I can ask. Was a long time ago though.

nathb
    Free Member

Cheers guys!

I think on reflection the half way into the garage is too much, plus it’s my Zwift man cave 😆

Found a similar property and it looks much better just losing that one wall, it also doesn’t appear to be a supporting wall.

newrobdob
    Free Member

New house I am guessing from the pointless loo and integral garage?

nathb
    Free Member

Oops I’ve just realised this is in the wrong forum section – mods please can you move?

Pointless loo? It’s a 1980s build.

nealglover
    Free Member

New house I am guessing from the pointless loo

When you’ve lived in a house with only one bathroom, and a wife that takes 2hr baths, No toilet is ever pointless.

cookeaa

…pointless loo and integral garage…

My “man cave” is at the foot of the garden and lacks a nearby toilet, that aspect of the house seems ideal to me.

Of course my first question looking at the layout of that house OP is, what is the scope for extending out the back like? Have any of the similar nearby/neighboring properties been extended?

dantsw13

Loo near front door is great with kids.

nathb
    Free Member

Plus if someone is in the shower or you’re cooking something it’s quite handy!

Next job after the kitchen is a 3rd floor showeroom…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Builder track world’ is closed to new replies.