Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Builder quote question – chimney breast removal
  • ossify

Just after a quick bit of advice on these quotes please…

Job is chimney breast removal from 3 rooms in total, main downstairs room and the bedroom above it plus another bedroom on the same side of the house (the other downstairs room has already been done, there’s a brace in the ceiling).
    Stack will probably remain in the loft and they’ll put brackets in.
    Terraced house.

First builders gave a quote of £1400 which I though was good then another builder has given a quote of £2200.
    Now I’m second guessing everything! Is the first one too cheap and should be avoided? Is the second one too expensive? Or are they both within perfectly reasonable range?

While I’m at it, have a similar mtb related question 😉
    Might as well stick it in the same thread.
    I’m about to buy a (hardtail) frame and can pay ~£60 extra for it to come with a headset and rear axle. Is that a deal or is it probably better to just buy them separately? Not sure of details. First time building a bike from scratch…

Thanks 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

quote sounds about right. from my brief research I thought they were no longer allowed by regs to brace (gallows bracket or somethong) and had to remove the whole stack.

‘re headset depends on the make you can get cheap ones and expensive ones. you can fit them easy enough with a hammer and bit of wood

wrightyson
    Free Member

I can’t see there being a reg to stop you from leaving up the stack if it was an engineered design and approved, however i may be wrong…..
    But…what I would be doing is taking the stack down anyway as it will serve zero purpose going forward and basically be an unnecessary maintenance issue.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dantsw13

I’ve just removed a ground floor structural wall & chimney breast, leaving the stack above. It required 3 extra steels to support the chimney above, but all designed by a SE & approved by BR.

For the mtb, if it’s a rear maxle they aren’t cheap, so £60 for a headset & maxle sounds good – saves you the lottery of headset standards too!!

avdave2

But…what I would be doing is taking the stack down anyway as it will serve zero purpose going forward and basically be an unnecessary maintenance issue.

Exactly the same thoughts here, and last time I looked at this which was some time ago complete removal didn’t require building regs.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As for the headset this is a brilliant webpage that someone from here suggested to me s few months back. It got it bang on and I ordered a brand x one using the info.
    headset finder

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Builder quote question – chimney breast removal’ is closed to new replies.