• This topic has 51 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by smurf.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Build report – custom Scott Spark 20 Junior
  • jonathan
    Free Member

Yes, but those Uber bike ones were 8 quid (with a discount code) including collars.. I don’t spend £25 on my grips, let alone the kids 😉

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

so good Simon… meticulous and patient.

Brilliantly done.

smurf
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments – much appreciated.

Weight with the Thomson seatpost and original saddle is 10.68kg (confirmed last night using a Feedback digital scale).

I had hoped for a sub 10kg build and I think 1×9 gearing would deliver that so I’ll see how my daughter gets on over time and perhaps do that at a later date….possibly with a different sized ring at the front.

On the cable routing…I think the final routing is a better than in the “work in progress” photo ….let me know what you think based on the outdoor shots at the end.

Regarding cost….I honestly don’t know what it’s cost but it was a lot more than I’d guestimated. Certainly many, many hundreds despite trying to find the best deals on things.

ebay was a huge help for parts (I paid a fraction of the retail price for things like tyres, hubs, shifters), as were a couple of friends at work who could bring things back from the USA for me.

I certainly like the idea of “get the receipts fired into space and the laptop with the spreadsheet on buried in the earths core and you’ll be laughing” 🙂

As per the advert….

Cost of all of the parts – Many hundreds
    Cost of my time – Many, many hours spent researching and building
    Satisfaction from knowing I’ve built something a little bit special for my daughter and she loves riding it – Priceless 🙂

fathomer

I’ve not read the entire thread but brilliant work. Looks awesome, I bet she’s loving it 😀

jonathan
    Free Member

Satisfaction from knowing I’ve built something a little bit special for my daughter and she loves riding it – Priceless

This ^^^ 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

Awesome thread, very inspiring.

poah
    Free Member

Yes, but those Uber bike ones were 8 quid (with a discount code) including collars.. I don’t spend £25 on my grips, let alone the kids

his uncle bought them after lewis tried mine. I don’t mind paying the cash if its worth it.

cookeaa

Inspirational stuff. Just found a used hotrock 20″ in horrific pink (she’ll love it) which I plan to do up/lighten before Christmas…

I am tempted to swap the stock pogo sticks for some 20″ trials forks maybe, depending on the a-c stack up plus as chunky a front tyre as I can manage, saving weight is my main goal, she’s keen but also a bit of a weakling…

what’s the consensus on carbon seatposts and bars for kids bikes? A step too far, bound to get dropped on them? Or a good weight saving?

smurf
    Free Member

Personally, I was happy to use a carbon bar…its from a bike I’ve used a bit and was in perfect condition. There’s also so little weight involved the stress levels are lower.

It was also a third of the weight of the original!

Carbon seatpost….depends a bit on whether you’ve one handy in the right size and how much it’s going to be lowered (more cosmetic though). If it’s designed for a 80+kg bloke I would have thought there’s very little stress from a child so it would be OK as long as it’s not already “worn out”.

Check out ebay and places like bike.de for Mow Joe tyres – try to get the folding ones as they are a lot lighter (but more £) than the wired ones. BMX inner tubes offer a good selection, including lighter ones.

ddmonkey

Brilliant thread thanks – lots of useful info here!

cookeaa

It takes a 27.2 post, lots of cheap Chinese carbon posts in that size on fleabay, might weigh the stock post first… Got a few spare bars to choose from in the garage so may not go carbon there.

Might stick to V brakes too for the minor weight savings, at least to start with, plus I might be able to source lighter 20″ BMX wheels if I don’t need a disc hub…

Bit unsure about ditching the suspension forks now, looking at options for something that can be shortened an ideally air sprung…

Drivetrain could probably loose some weight without much spend…

Yeah, incremental weight savings are the goal if I can drag it under 11kg I will be quite pleased…

Cheers for the nudge OP.

smurf
    Free Member

Looks like build #2 is on….

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Build report – custom Scott Spark 20 Junior’ is closed to new replies.