Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Build or buy wheels?
  • MarkyG82

Currently building a cross/hybrid. Need some wheels. Looking on classifieds but options are few and far between.

I could build a set of new budget mavic rims onto some hubs I already own (nothing special), buy new mega low budget or from here.

If I build some, can anyone recommend somewhere to get spokes at a reasonable price?
    If I buy new, where to start looking? 100 quid absolute tops. Much less if possible.

What are the stw reccomendations?

MSP

Have you built wheels yourself before?

I have tried it a couple of times before and I just haven’t got the nack, they are nearly there but can’t get them 100% right, I would now prefer to pay to have it done properly.

kilo

spa cycles good for spokes and helpful, never found wheel building to be particualy cost effective, rewarding but not any cheaper!

MarkyG82

Yeah I’ve built wheels. Woudln’t say I’m an expert but I’m still using a set I built a few years ago without needing to re-true.

What I’m worried about is the cost of new spokes and making sure the size is right. I dont really know where to get them from. Apart from CRC etc.

kilo

dt swiss have a length calculator mavic and shimano usualy have the dimensions on their sites there are also a couple of links on the sheldon brown website, Like I a spa are very helpful

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Build or buy wheels?’ is closed to new replies.