Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)
  • Bugger
  • ratherbeintobago

Doing under local so I’m expecting something more agricultural involving a metal file and a stapler.

If they’re doing it under a ring block, you’ll be right, though I can’t see them using staples (while there are no finer words in the English language than ‘clips to skin’, especially at the end of a long operating list, they’re not the best for anything that isn’t a straight incision).

If it’s going to be a brachial plexus block…

Stoner
    Free Member

Ring block was mentioned

Northwind

This maybe isn’t entirely helpful, but when I sliced up my hand it was the ring block that caused the most problems- the doctor was dead on his feet and lost balance and stuck the needle right through my finger into the desk.

And that STILL wasn’t the stupidest thing that happened to my hand that day, because I sliced myself to ribbons doing the dishes.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thanks northwind. That isn’t helpful 🙂

Fortunately I should be second on the list tomorrow morning. After surgeon has had his first whisky of the day to steady his hand

Solo
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    Doing under local so I’m expecting something more agricultural involving a metal file and a stapler.

Have you considered a prosthetic replacement?

Still, your injury doesn’t appear to have impaired your ability to type 😐

I hope you feel better soon.

scaredypants

Ring block was mentioned

I imagine that’s to do with the second x-ray

ratherbeintobago

Fortunately I should be second on the list tomorrow morning. After surgeon has had his first whisky of the day to steady his hand

Is it a hand list, or a general trauma list?

Stoner
    Free Member

Not sure. I think it’s general as I’ll get bumped if an emergency comes in. There is a kid with a “simple” op in front of me

Stoner
    Free Member

V good scaredy!

Solo
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    Fortunately I should be second on the list tomorrow morning. After surgeon has had his first whisky of the day to steady his hand [/I]

If this is the fellow, you might want a second opinion

maccruiskeen

Time to start stocking up on grip shift

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Some handy tips* here for you

https://hackaday.com/tag/finger/

…and a list of the more famous fellow sub-optimal digit bearers you can now claim affinity with

Celebs Missing Fingers

Heal fast tall one and don’t be such a numpty in the future!

*oh yes, intended 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Pffft, as a singlespeeder at least I’m covered

noteeth
    Free Member

Wild guess: you were captured by the French at Agincourt?

Blimey, comrade – heal up fast! 🙂

maccruiskeen

as a singlespeeder

that explains everything

WillH

Do you get to keep the remaining bit of bone once they’ve whipped it off? I’m sure with some imagination it could be put to amusing use 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers cheesy, comrade

There will be much hacking. And frightening my boys on Halloween

mefty
    Free Member

I remember sitting in front of a surgeon at Lords on a Saturday once, who after recalling the quite extraordinary quantity of alcohol he had consumed, quite calmly slurred than he would be operating at 8 the following morning.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I opened the thread hours ago but have only just got the courage to return, I am quite squeemish at stuff like this (Freudian fear of castration I was once told 😐 ) Makes me feel unwell just looking at the x-rays. Rather you than me though 😀

Anyway healing vibes and perhaps see you in 3 weeks. Feel free not to show off the injury.

Sunday surgery ? 7 day NHS !

Will have to swap to shooting left handed bow.

I was stunned how much better I was shooting left handed (I wan’t too shabby right handed). Turns out I have a very strong eye dominance. Had a lesson at Wisley and the guy picked it up very quickly.

dannyh
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, those really hard to reach pugs up your nose just got a whole lot easier to pick.

chipster

Stoner, you don’t ride fixed gear, by any chance, do you?

drlex
    Free Member

Some handy tips* here for you

https://hackaday.com/tag/finger/

Pfft! No USB drive. Excel Everywhere…

TiRed

Finger in the fixed transmissions? Or just the lure of the shiny spinning sharp thing with the finger tractor beam?

Heal fast.

dknwhy

as a singlespeeder

Anything to save a bit of weight.
    You’ll be championing 1×9 3/4 next…

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m all about the cloud storage now so USB no use. But I like the idea of a rfid fingertip.

Jamba, oddly I’m left eye dominant but have always shot rifle, shotgun and latterly archery tight handed. I only took up archery last autumn, so making the change will be fun and not impossible.
    Very gd dkny, just got that 🙂

singletrackmind

I always stop grating the last bit of cheese just before my fingers come into contact with the grater.
    You, my frind appear to have ever so slightlly misjudged the end of the cheese for the begining of your finger tip and just carried on, willy nilly till there was bone gratings in your bowl of cheese.

I had a woodworking friend who did the same on a bench saw. I used to pull splinters and on the odd occaision squeeze spots for him , due to his lack digits.

They can do wonderful things with prosthetics now you know

HTH

trail_rat
    Free Member

meh – i still have that bit of finger …. but i cant feel anything in it.

sliced in deep when cutting open an unriped avocado with a less than razor sharp knife…..

the cut healed but i no longer feel that finger – might as well look like yours.

You have another 9 shots at it at least ! -at least you should as i dont think your from brechin – in which case you would have 10 more shots 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Fictional hero FRODO BAGGINS wins fame but drops a digit in the course of J.R.R. Tolkien‘s trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Small but plucky, Frodo is chosen to carry the ring of power sought by the evil lord Sauron. All’s well that ends well: in the book’s final chapters, a minstrel sings of “Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom.”

From henceforth I shall be known as Frodo

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Small but plucky,”

Not even close.

roper
    Free Member

Noy sure why this sprang to mind
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7l1QAe_es[/video]

breadcrumb

On the bright side, cutting your fingernails should be 10? quicker now.

That’s if you can be trusted with something sharp near your fingertips?

Maybe just ask for a discount at the local nail bar?..

jimw
    Free Member

Perhaps Dave* would be more appropriate than Frodo?

*as in Allen

trail_rat
    Free Member

or telly savalas….. he was missing his left index finger tip as well ….

Wookster

Archery problem solved…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

From henceforth I shall be known as Frodo

🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

I did that back in January on my daughters birthday, she wasn’t impressed, neither was her mother.
    put my finger in between the chain and front ring of my track bike.
    Fortunately i kept the bit of bone and it’s all healed except for a bit of nerve damage around the tip of my finger.

Stoner
    Free Member

Great surgery team. Bish bosh, 40mins.
    That ring block worked a treat, even while they were trimming the bone 😉

Now I get hospital lunch. Whoohoo

Cheers guys for keeping it light last night.

Stumpy Stoner

Cougar

I was stunned how much better I was shooting left handed (I wan’t too shabby right handed). Turns out I have a very strong eye dominance. Had a lesson at Wisley and the guy picked it up very quickly.

Jamba, oddly I’m left eye dominant but have always shot rifle, shotgun and latterly archery tight handed.

It’s eye dominance which dictates which way round you should shoot (a bow), not hand. So if it’s any comfort, you’ve been taught incorrectly thus far and can now look forward to doing it properly. I’ll wager your game actually improves after this.

If you’re shooting wrong-handed (well, -eyed) then you’re sighting across the arrow at an angle rather than straight down it and it throws off your aim. I’m fully left-dominant (hand, foot, eye) but learned to shoot right-handed as that was the only kit available. By the time I got access to a left-handed bow I was so used to a RH-er that I couldn’t use it; it felt unnatural and I had little compelling reason to re-learn everything. In the end I was taught to draw as normal with both eyes open, but close my left momentarily to fine-tune my lateral aim before loosing.

Cougar

On the downside of course, unless you’re shooting longbow, flatbow or one of those crappy fibreglass training bows, you’re gonna need a new bow.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Great surgery team. Bish bosh, 40mins.

What did they do with the other 33.3% of your gravel bike? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Bugger’ is closed to new replies.