• This topic has 46 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bugatti Veyron? Pah, far too slow!
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah But…

I’d like to see them do that on British Roads, anyone because they’d get no further than 60mtrs before they hit 44 potholes and a nob in a Bimmer try to overtake.

Impressive though, did the driver change gear at 240mph??

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Saw that earlier, love how it gets to 190mph faster than pretty much anything, even though he’s short shifting and then goes off like a bomb has exploded behind it all the way to 280+. And when it’s slowing down 200 looked positively pedestrian. So.much.want.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rene59
    Free Member

Took a while to do 0-60 though.

jimjam
    Free Member

That ****ing thing did 284.55 mph 😈

Love it. Still not as nice looking as the CCX but hey.

rene59 – Member

Probably nursing it off the line so as not to light up the tyres you’re going to be doing 280mph on.

Houns

Weight, grip and downforce why it’s slow off the line, perfect car for straight line speed as proven, but wouldn’t be the fastest on the track

(I’m no expert, the above ramble gathered from Salomondrin, VV and Stradman vids)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Shirley it would have as much downforce as any other car when going < 60mph…. none. It builds relative to speed.

I’d love it if there was an Audi in the rear view mirror flashing its lights 🙂

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Re. 0-60 time. Still faster than my Kia with foot to the floor. Admittedly not very hard given its a 1.4 diesel

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Just love the way at the speed my old GSXR 1000 K1 hit the limiter its still getting into its stride!

mikey74
    Free Member

I get this race to make the fastest production car, but wasn’t one of the major things about the Veyron was that it did it in such style and comfort, and in a package that wasn’t hard to drive.

I’m no petrolhead, so I will probably have missed quite a lot, so forgive the ignorance.

matt_outandabout

If I put a GoPro on the Galaxy I reckon I could outrun that….

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

The Veyron is an engineering marvel, but the ‘segg is just so much more brutal. Obviously i wouldn’t turn down either!

scotroutes

Impressive though, did the driver change gear at 240mph??

Went from 4th to 6th I think.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Haha, started in 2nd too…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

jimjam
    Free Member

Ashy – Member

The Veyron is an engineering marvel, but the ‘segg is just so much more brutal. ….

It’s not light on engineering either. Watch some video with Christain von Koenigsegg talking about their cars. Nearly every part on those cars is custom made in house and unique.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d like to see them do that on British Roads, anyone because they’d get no further than 60mtrs before they hit 44 potholes and a nob in a Bimmer try to overtake.

Really? I think that would be really dull.

molgrips
    Free Member

Blimey.. the ease with which it breezes through 200mph is incredible.

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s the point tho? At least with the Teslas there is a demonstration of a technology that can trickle down. What benefit does the Koesnenenenggngneer have outside of a 8yr old boy’s dream car when he becomes president of the world?

bikebouy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Really? I think that would be really dull.

Y’no what, I think you would find it dull too.

supremebean
    Free Member

From the text on that page.

As if hardly taking its own record attempt seriously, Koenigsegg proclaims in its own documentation of the event that the factory test driver, Niklas Lilja, did not even use full throttle until he had already reached 190 mph, so as not to stress the engine unnecessarily. The above video released by Koenigsegg supports this claim, with telemetry exhibiting a noticeable spike in acceleration around this speed.

0-60 in that video is about the same as my caddy van loaded with tools. 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

What’s the point tho?

There are 1900 billionaires in the world There are probably 10,000 people worth 500 million and maybe 500,000 people worth 100 million. There’s also 15 million millionaires striving to get to become 100millionaires.

They need something to talk about and a way to differentiate themselves from each other. Plus they are as good an investment as gold or property in the centre of London.

In the same way some crushingly dull, middle management petrochemical engineer or IT consultant feels that his latest £5000 watch is a one of a kind engineering marvel worthy of oohs and aaahs and feigned praise, this is does the same thing for millionaires. It may also persuade women of debatable morals to be more inclined to spend the night with you.

At least with the Teslas there is a demonstration of a technology that can trickle down.

Almost all high performance or luxury brands and models have demonstrated this over time.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Good point jimjam, bit there’s no disputing the Veyron is a bit more sane* . * As sane as 1000bhp+ Hypercars can be. The Veyron was designed to be everyday usable. Not sure the same could be said for the ‘segg!

joat

When we were kids we used to look at car speedos and think the top number meant that’s how fast the car would go. This thing runs out of numbers for christ’s sake and that number was 280mph. Utterly pointless yet still jaw dropping.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I still want a McLaren F1.

scotroutes

yourguitarhero – That swoosh you heard wasn’t the Konigsegg accelerating……

shermer75
    Free Member

That song at the start reminds me if something..

[video]https://youtu.be/tAhIg5Dy3uA[/video]

km79
    Free Member

I’ll wait to see the servicing costs before deciding whether or not to get one.

pondo

Pretty quick, it’s only taken 80 years to beat the kind of speeds Mercedes and Auto Union were doing on autobahns back in the day. 🙂

Impressive how it took off on full gas at c.190mph, and almost seemed undergeared at full chat.

P20

It hit the Rev limiter on the first run, so could have possibly gone quicker. The 2nd run was slightly uphill into a headwind. Still damn impressive

walleater

I wonder how many hours of research was put into the positioning of the windscreen wiper?

leffeboy

Oh. I watched that and just realised what 280 is in km/hr. That’s incredible. How did he keep it going straight

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Batteries and brushless motors. 😕

TBH, most of the tech in automotive at the moment is in materials, lighter, stiffer, stronger etc. Most of the powertrain stuff is just refinement and repackaging. Or stuff we couldn’t do 10 years ago as the materials weren’t good enough.

The Agera RS is an exercise in chucking as much fuel and air into an engine while not getting the timing wrong. Biggest technical issue is probably cooling everything. Much like the Veyron. 14 radiators IIRC.

Edit: It’s got 10

choppersquad
    Free Member

It takes huge balls to drive that quickly on that road.
    I kept waiting for an animal to dart out of the undergrowth. Not sure ABS would do much at 280mph?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve seen some pictures of an Aston Martin that hit a deer at ~160mph on a test track. Most of the body of the car had to be taken off the track in bin bags, same as the remains of the deer.
    Driver walked away (and i guess went to get a shower and a change of clothes).

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cool but how does it handle?

mechanicaldope

I might see if I could lease one. Don’t have a deposit right now though. Also don’t 100% definitely have a well enough paying job to pay for it. Oh well, guess I could always cancel.

munrobiker
    Free Member

From Koenigsegg themselves on an article about this record on Top Gear-

But what’s next? “I’m not sure what I can tell you,” Niklas said afterwards. “But of course we want to prove it’s quicker than anything else in the corners too.” Could this mean that Koenigsegg is going to return back to the Nurburgring Nordschleife to try and eclipse Porsche’s lightning 911 GT2 RS’ lap time? Could this be the new automotive ‘triple’?

alpin
    Free Member

Think I’d still rather a Caterham 360.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bugatti Veyron? Pah, far too slow!’ is closed to new replies.