Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Buffalo v's Montane
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

Super 6 against the extreme. Which and why? Three years i've been trying to decide.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

whichever one fits you better

aviemoron
    Free Member

Montanes a bit "stiffer" ? fabric, bit warmer too. I don't know about Montane longevity but my old Buffalo is 22 years old! And still going strong (much to my wifes disgust)

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have two Special six Buffalos never without one however Montane Windshirts are better in my opinion they seem to resst a shower better than Buffalo Windshirt.

TooTall
    Free Member

Worn both in the filthiest weather and the Montane is superior – the design is better thought out in most every aspect (cuffs and hems have a slimmer fleece which works better, pockets better thought out, better ventilation, reinforced forearms) and is much cheaper (you get the hood included with Montane).

I really think the Buffalo would have been unbeatable if they had tweaked the design – but they didn't. The Montane does soften a lot and pack down a bit when used and washed.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Can't speak for the Montane but my Buffalo Special 6 survived many trips to some of the world's less desirable destinations and is still going strong. Want something tough, warm and light? Look at what 'gucci kit' squaddies buy to replace their standard gear. The Special 6 has been up there as one of the most used for years.

iDave
    Free Member

Buffalo if you have a beard, Montane if you shave

kevonakona
    Free Member

Damn i have a beard but am shaving it to go diving next week.

Good point on Gucci kit.

b1galus
    Free Member

dunno about gucci kit it was all snugpaks we used got twenty years out of one, but i have a buffalo now and i think the buffalo trousers are the greatest pants for winter on the planet

the-muffin-man

Can't comment on Montanes but Buffalos are supremely warm – so much so that mine hasn't been out in years as the winters haven't been cold enough to wear it!!

Drac

Montanes are excellent, tough warm and not really that heavy.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    Buffalo if you have a beard, Montane if you shave

I was thinking the same as well.

Either are brilliant, like meikle_partans which ever fits you is the best.

vondally
    Free Member

buffalo, 16 years old and still going strong!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I've got a buffalo which I've had for over ten years and there have been times when it was great, but like muffin-man I hardly wear mine. I find a layered system more convenient and only wear my buffalo if the weather is cold and wet. My other half wore hers all the time when she first got it but less so now its a bit faded. Women!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buffalo v's Montane’ is closed to new replies.