• This topic has 32 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
  • alba23
    Free Member

How can the above sentance be correct. Wife sent me a tex of it stating the grammar is correct and do I no why. WTF is she on about. Can any of the spelling / grammar police who live here help ?

MrSparkle

How can the above sentance be correct. Wife sent me a tex of it stating the grammar is correct and do I no why. WTF is she on about. Can any of the spelling / grammar police who live here help ?

Oh dear.

z1ppy

dunno but it reminds me of..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPvRVK9YbZM[/video]

defydude
    Free Member

Can any of the spelling / grammar police who live here help ?

Unfortunately, I think your about to be nailed for you’re own crimes.

tagger
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I think your about to be nailed for you’re own crimes.

😆

shifter
    Free Member

Unfortunately, I think you’re about to be nailed for your own crimes.

😉

mintimperial

It’s a splendid illustration of why grammar rules should often be considered rather more as guidelines than absolute laws. Because yes, that string of letters validates perfectly according to all the technical criteria governing whether a sentence is grammatical, but I’ll eat my hat if anyone was able to parse it on sight as quickly as, say, alba23’s grammatically non-standard original post.

Just because something is “correct” English doesn’t make it good English. And just because something is “incorrect” doesn’t mean it’s not comprehensible or fit for purpose.

[Edit: I used to go out drinking with the chap who made Badger Badger Badger. Lovely fella.]

wwaswas

It’s all pedant win, this thread. 🙂

*crosses fingers he’s got it right*

Dangerboy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nni0rTLg5B8[/video]

alfabus
    Free Member

See also:

Jonathan, where Sam had had ‘had’, had had ‘had had’; ‘had had’ had had the examiners’ approval.

and

<Making a pub sign> Be sure to leave a space between ‘Pig’ and ‘and’ and ‘and’ and ‘Whistle’.

Dave

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SNAKE! SNAKE! oooh it’s a SNAKE!

sadexpunk

for you to understand it you have to realise that buffalo is a town in US. its also a verb meaning to bully. so you could make sense of it by saying Buffalo buffalo (buffalo that live in Buffalo) that Buffalo buffalo buffalo (that are bullied by other buffalo from Buffalo) buffalo buffalo buffalo (they go on to bully other buffalo from Buffalo)

think thats about the size of it anyway. i thought i worked out once that it could actually go on indefinitely but cant be bothered switching my brain on again right now 🙂

EDIT: id probably have been wrong anyway 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mushhhroom mushhhroom

MrsToast
    Free Member

defydude
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you could make that a bit smaller, Mrs Toast?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Displays fine on my screen, how’s it appearing elsewhere? D:

Junkyard
    Free Member

Colourless green idea sleep furiously.

Grammatcially correct and yet meaningless.

Mrs toast it is a bit small but not tiny

DezB
    Free Member

stop boasting junky.

downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

Given the OP’s spelling – not the first person I would ask 😆

KennySenior
    Free Member

for you to understand it you have to realise that buffalo is a town in US. its also a verb meaning to bully. so you could make sense of it by saying Buffalo buffalo (buffalo that live in Buffalo) that Buffalo buffalo buffalo (that are bullied by other buffalo from Buffalo) buffalo Buffalo buffalo (they go on to bully other buffalo from Buffalo)

Seeing as everyone else is!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

Grammatcially correct and yet meaningless.

Grammatcially?

warton
    Free Member

I hate stuff like that. Who cares if thats a correct sentence? Will it ever be used in real life? It’s like those people that can recite Pi to 10,000 decimal places. So ****, get a life

GrahamS

Who cares if thats a correct sentence?

Linguists, people involved in getting computers to understand natural language, and trivia geeks.

toys19
    Free Member

me, I’m not a linguist, I have done programming but I am a natural language and trivia geek.

Language is the root of the progress of humanity, it is primarily the most powerful tool we have as well as being essential, beautiful, absorbingly interesting, endlessly complex and varied, and very very funny. What’s not like?

If you don’t like it sling yer hook and leave cyberspace to those of it who want to enjoy it.

op, that one of my faves, thanks for reminding me. xx

defydude
    Free Member

I hate stuff like that. Who cares if thats a correct sentence? Will it ever be used in real life? It’s like those people that can recite Pi to 10,000 decimal places. So ****, get a life

Looks like someone is jealous.

konabunny
    Free Member

stop, boasting junky.

teasel
    Free Member

Nice pair of boots in that freeze-frame. Anyone recognise them…?

_tom_
    Free Member

The same sort of sad bastards who care about brackets and spaces in equations that also have no relevance in real life.

GrahamS

Maths and English: “no relevance in real life”. FACT!

konabunny
    Free Member

sad bastards who care about brackets and spaces in equations that also have no relevance in real life.

Tell that to Roger Casement (well, not now that he’s been executed, obviously).

IanMunro
    Free Member

Why won’t someone think of the Buffalo!?
    It could be a Bison’s face next time.

DezB
    Free Member

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.’ is closed to new replies.