Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Budget woodburning stoves….
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

Before I pull the trigger on a Firefox 5 for £325 is there anything else I should consider in the same price range?

Stoner
    Free Member

cant vouch for these, but was sorely tempted until I got a great offer on a s/h charnwood

http://www.greymetal.co.uk/multi-fuel-stoves/square-stoves.html

they do have a warehouse in chester if you wanted to pass your eye over them first.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I had seen the Nero on Ebay and really like the look of them but couldn’t find a great deal in the way of reviews. Have you checked them out yourself?
    Have just found a Stovax Stockton 6 for a really good price (2nd hand but still on pallet), tempting….

trail_rat
    Free Member

i bought a castec alberg 7 for 235 quid from my local Travis perkins.Its one of cast tecs bought in import models but its far better than my decades old aga stove.

Only had it in a couple of days but its a big stove (7.8kw replacing a 4.3kw ) but it copes much better with the space im trying to heat and burns loads less fuel doing so.

after

before

Stoner
    Free Member

not very few reviews online for greymetal, although there were some good positives on the greenbuilding forum which is not known for its astroturfing.

I was going to go to chester to look at them

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Food for thought. What size room are you heating TR? Online calculators say I need 4.2kw but the house is not the best insulated with mainly single glazing.

Definitely looking for something more contemporary or neutral than ye olde log burner.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the “room” is 16 x 13ft but it heats my whole downstairs 32×25 ft roughly and takes the chill off upstairs.

well insulated though

living room sits at 21-22 with the stove in good flow and the rest of the house between 18-20

wilko1999
    Free Member

trail_rat is that a thermoelectric generator fan on there? I’ve been given one to try on my burner which I’m probably going to light this evening for the first time this autumn. Just out of interest really, does it have much effect?

Stoner
    Free Member

I have one and it’s brilliant. I have two stoves so need to get a second one for the barn.

quite a few threads in here both recently and over the last 12months or so.

5thElefant
    Free Member

One of these…

Buy two. I did.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wouldnt be without my stove fan.

the short period when we were due to a friends kid knocking it off. The room took forever to warm up and the rest of the house stayed cold. considering a second one to shift more air away from the fire since the top of the stoves so big.

granny_ring

Lit ours for the first time autumn…… 🙁

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I have a Firefox and it’s been really good

spchantler
    Free Member

no. buy the firefox, and a flue liner. and vermiculite to go round it.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

One of these…

Buy two. I did.

What’s the firebox capacity like? It looks pretty narrow…

Firefox owners can you tell me the minimum distance between the back wall and the back of the flue when using the top outlet please?

Cheers

PePPeR

There are different sized Firefox stoves, I’ve just put one into our house in France and compared to my Stovax here, the qualities pretty good.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What’s the firebox capacity like?

I’ve never thought about it but I put the same load in them as stove no.3 which is one of these:

schrickvr6
    Free Member

5th is the box taller than it’s wide? Roughly how big a log would you get in it?

Looking at this Firefox, or possibly the 8, I’d like to use the top outlet but the chimney is only 20cm front to back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181527480513?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

sparksmcguff

Size wise this: Hobbit Stove should work. Though lesser output and more expensive. What size area are you hoping to heat? I’d add a 15-25% to your required output if it is a primary heating source.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Well I think I’m going to go for the Rosa stove for £250 delivered, the capacity actually looks pretty decent, the dimensions I was looking at for the Firefox in that ebay listing were a misprint, and I’ve been told that the Nero/Greymetal ones are too contemporary for the room. 🙄

Thanks for your help all.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Budget woodburning stoves….’ is closed to new replies.