Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Budget Soundbar with built in sub ? Am I wasting my money ?
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

I am not a big action movie watcher type, we dont get the chance to watch much telly at all in our house with 2 youngsters, but we do tend to get more opportunity through winter and especially Christmas. I would like to improve the rubbish sound on my flat screen TV for box sets and general movie watching. I don’t have a fortune to blow on kit to do this as I like to spend any spare on bikes and bits 🙂 My significant other certainly wouldn’t be into getting any form of clutter whatsoever, so preferably no wires extra speaker boxes anywhere etc. So with these things in mind I am looking at a cheap soundbar with built in subwoofer for a neat package that I can buy for £100-£120 quid or thereabouts. So I guess what I am getting at is, at that price and without any seperate speakers etc, and on the “you get what you pay for” principal am I completely wasting my money ? Would I just be making more clutter for little or no improvement ? Would love to hear your experiences.

frogstomp

Most flat screens have pretty rubbish speakers due to design limitations so almost anything is likely to be an improvement.

I got a Roth Sub Zero which I’ve been very pleased with – the new version comes in at around £90..

plumber
    Free Member

I bought one about 3 years ago,Yamah something or other

never really use it though

you can have it if you like for postage or just pick it up – north london

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think there is a danger you’ll pay a premium price for a soundbar versus same money spent on speakers. I use a set of standalone speakers connected to the tv via a jackplug, cost about £50 and are much better than the hopeless flatscreen to speakers. It’s worth doing some research, for example yiu can buy some Bose PC speakers, eg companion 2 for £75-100 which IMO will sound much better. The downside is they probably won’t look as neat as a soundbar

dragon
    Free Member

Samsung soundbar here, with separate Sub which connects via bluetooth, so you can put it pretty much anywhere as long as it near a power socket.

The thought of a built in sub doesn’t fill me with much hope, as you really want big speakers and drivers to get decent bass.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Budget Soundbar with built in sub ? Am I wasting my money ?’ is closed to new replies.