• This topic has 13 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jwh.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Budget Smart Turbo for Sufferfest etc
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Further to my other post about free turbo trainer apps I gave Sufferfest a go on the 7day free trial and I think it’s actually what I need – something to vary some intervals and tell me what cadence to aim for and the level or perceived exertion.

I never thought I’d say this, but I kind of enjoyed it. Well the first 20mins or so, the rest I thought I was going to die but that’s why I need to train…

The only issue I had was with the perceived exertion level and trying to control it with gears/crap cheap turbo.

As I’ve got to get fit enough to do the Ard Rock Marathon and Enduro this year I’m thinking of actually investing in a smart turbo.

I did see a PSA for an elite integra (?) from decathlon but I can’t see it on the website any more, however I have seen a few recommendations for a Tacx Flow T2240 which seems budget enough is and seems like it will work with Sufferfest ok.

Just wondering if there were any other budget / bargin recommendations?

Ta.

whatgoesup

The other trainer referenced from that thread was the Elite Novo Smart at Halfords

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

try second hand ones, theirs lots for sale and they often have little use 🙂 All the major aps have a list of trainers that work with their software.

jonnyboi

I gave the Tacx 2240, it is decent enough for the money and allows the resistance to be controlled via your app of choice, but it is slow to respond to changes in power and cadence

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The Elite Novo appears to be an updated version of the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+. The latter is listed on the Sufferfest compatibility chart the Novo isn’t so I’ll have to do some more checking.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Currently torn between the Tacx Flow 2240 (£190) and the Elite Novo from Halfrauds (£180). From the other recent post is sounds like the Elite might provide smoother Resistance change but that particular model isn’t listed on the Sufferfest Chart (though the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ is which I understand it is a new version of or the same unit in a different frame).

jonnyboi

‘Halfrauds’ yet you still shop there,

Jesus…,

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

It’s a semi-jokey name for a shop I don’t have massive respect for due to past history but not so bad that I wouldn’t consider them if they have a product from a reputable brand for a reasonable price.

There are other shops I won’t name that I wouldn’t use even if it was half the price and covered in gold leaf.

No need to be a dick.

nparker

Elite Novo Smart here – very happy with it, bought as a Christmas present for the Mrs but I’ve found it strangely enjoyable. Cant comment on Sufferfest but it hooked up with Zwift no problem. If you like I can try out connectivity with Sufferfest and report back.

ransos
    Free Member

I have the Novo Smart. You can get it from Cycle Republic for £165. I think the Decathlon integra is the same machine.

Anyway, I’ve done one race on Zwift and it worked well. There’s a slight delay between hills appearing on the screen and the turbo resistance increasing but that could be my ancient laptop.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

NParker, well if you are willing to give the Sufferfest 7day free trial a go to find out that would be great! I suspect it will register as the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+.

I can’t seem to spot the Elite Integra on the site at the moment so I don’t know if it’s been discontinued?

tlthunder
    Free Member

Did you buy the Elite from Halfords and if so howhow  you getting on with it and the Sufferfest? (Connectivity etc).

I use Sufferfest and have done for the last four years. Started off with a Cyclops Powerbeam Pro but changed when SF launched the app and the Powerbeam wasn’t supported.  I now use a Wahoo Kickr Snap and can highly recommend it if the budget can stretch that far.

The reason I ask is the girlfriend has had a go and wants to join in but I’m not sure how long her interest will last so thinking will the Elite do the job and maybe upgrade later.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I actually went for the Tacx Flow from Decathlon for £189.99. Very happy with it so far. Went for it over the Wlite as it was definitely supported in Sufferfest. Only thing I noted was that I think that as the cadence is calculated rather than measured it can be a bit out / takes a few seconds to catch up. Been using a separate cadence sensor which is more accurate.

jwh
    Free Member

I’ve also got the Tacx Flow 2240 from Halfords as i got the BC discount.
    Works well – but can be a bit laggy when increasing power / cadence quickly.
    To be fair I knew that before i bought it – but its behaved well and is quite and once i figured out the android app did not work to configure it – the iOS app was much better.
    I’ve never had an issue with Zwift not connecting to it either and i’m just using a cheap usb ant+ from amazon on an extension cable

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Budget Smart Turbo for Sufferfest etc’ is closed to new replies.