Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • budget sleeping bag for camp bivvy packing?
  • rp16v
    Free Member

Are vango as good as they used to be?

Looking at a new sleeping bag for bivvying and general camping use
    spotted this when ploding around go outdoors today
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ultralite-1300-p292610
    Obviously would be used with bivvy baag or one man tent

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine (a different Vango) is good. I think it was (reduced to) £70 or so for a 2-3 season down one, 700gm and compact.

But….why 4 season? Bivvying in winter? Really?

Either way, 1.9kg is a lot of weight for bikepacking…and it will be a lot of bulk also.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Keep looking around the big outdoor shops after xmas. I picked up a RAB down bag for half price in Tiso.

davesmate
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3 season synthetic vango bag that works well. I only tend to overnight from March to end of October and I don’t use a bivvy bag. just a sleep mat and a tarp.

willard

If you want down, you could do a lot worse than one of the Alpkit ones. I love mine, but have so far bottled on taking it out when there’s a serious chance of rain.

mactheknife

A few years back when i was in the marines i bought a Vango 5 season down filled sleeping bag for Arctic training in Norway. It was a thing of beauty. So so so comfy and warm down to about -25. Also it was a very reasonable price. Think it was just over a hundred.

Im going to be on the hunt for a 3 season one for the back of the van trips and again Vango will be top of my list.

colin9

I have a Vango Venom 300 down bag, 2/3 season. Good bag.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I looked at these instore earlier this week and was v tempted as VFM is high, the bag looks capable, packs down well and is lightweight. The more you pay the lighter and smaller it will get.

rp16v
    Free Member

I was just looking at packdown size tbh its a pretty small bundle itl be used from march onwerds

my aim is to get out a fair bit this year with kids and work mates if i can get away with the lower 2-3 season then will do as u say this is lighter and smaller again
    will mostley be used with a base of some form im quite happy to carry more for the extra comfort

binners

Take a look at the Decathalon ones. They pack down really small, and weigh sod all, so ideal for bivvying. You can buy them depending on what temperature you’re divvying in. They’re miles warmer than they have any right to be too

dragon
    Free Member

Mountain Hardware Lamina, was what I got for around £100, not used it yet mind, so can’t comment further.

scotroutes

Aye – if you can find a Lamina 0 with a bit of money off then it’ll be a very good solution

Some do Al

singlecrack
    Free Member

Cheap tesco down bags……buy two …winter put on inside the other ..summer just one ….

dragon
    Free Member

Just checked and mine is the Lamina 35 not the 0, which probably explains why it was a good bit cheaper. There are multiple weights that the Lamina comes in.

rp16v
    Free Member

Thanks guys il look them all up when i get home anyone used the higear solo tents looks ok at £30 atm

scotroutes

I have one of those too. For summer. 😆

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I tried to order an ALpkit bag bag before I bought my Rab bag, they were sold out and did not know when they would get more stock. It all seemed very vague, but I understand thier products are well thought of.
    I also have one of the Tesco down bags, for sure only a 2 season bag but great for very light weight summer bike packing. Sadly I dont think tesco sell any down bags now.
    Just think about budget, if you buy a £30 bag and find its too big, too cold etc you may wish you had just spent the bit extra.
    Have fun whatever you decide.
    Heres a pick from last year, not sure the month, but it looks like winter! 😀

Cheezpleez

I use a Lamina 20 down to a few degrees below freezing. Very good but a bit more bulk and weight than quality down. I’m looking at getting a three-season down quilt for warmer nights.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘budget sleeping bag for camp bivvy packing?’ is closed to new replies.