Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • budget skiing – is bulgaria that bad?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

me, the missus and a couple of friends want to go skiing this winter, but funds are tight – perhaps up to £600pp – all in (as much as that’s possible).

I used to live in Morzine, so am competent (if not amazing), the other three haven’t really been before (other than dry slopes in the SW).

I think we’ll be pushing it to get to the alps for 600 quid, but will we all get what we want out of bulgaria? I’m happy on any piste and have skied a bit off piste, so would like enough varied terrain to have fun for a week, the other 3 want to learn to ski/board and have fun on and off the snow.

any opinions? any other options?

while we’ve a tight budget, we’ll all be in our 30s, so don’t want to slum it 😳

shifter
    Free Member

Bulgaria is slumming it!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

some of the hotels look nice according to my other half (who stays in a lot of hotels!) the ski hire and lessons, and lift passes are all about half the price… basically we could probably get the most basic Alps package going (but i know the skiing will be good for all of us), or we could get a mid(ish) level package in E Europe, but perhaps with questionable skiiing (i just don’t know)

shifter
    Free Member

Our crew like to “go cheap, go twice” so usually one trip per season is with a company that does school trips. We’re going to le Corbier in January for less than £600 inc food and lift pass. Look at Skibound or Rocketski.

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t comment on Bulgaria although I will follow this to find out more. Have you looked at Italy? Usually works out pretty cheap. Some great pistes and plenty of off piste options. Usually pretty good apres ski and some nice towns.

GrahamS

Time for my favourite ever skiing video

(Warning: contains swearing)

[video]https://youtu.be/wOIYm5B_Pw8[/video]

Have you considered Slovakia?

I can highly recommend Dan’s place: http://www.chaletslovakia.com

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Valmeiner was good and went on one of those coaches – snowcoach.co.uk

piemonster

I think we’ll be pushing it to get to the alps for 600 quid

Is that all in? I’m going to Serre Flasheart for £700 all in ex food and drink without really trying to cut costs.

shifter
    Free Member

To be fair to Bulgaria, they are improving things and it’s 14 years since I went. A mate went last year and has booked again. They’ve never experienced anywhere else mind.

CheesybeanZ

They smoke heavily everywhere or did a few years ago , hopefully things have changed . The actual skiing is fine upto intermediate level .

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, it is that bad if you’re used to the Alps. I’ve been a few times to my dads wife’s place there. Ultimately if you get good snow you’re going to enjoy the skiing, and the few times I went the snow was great, but since i’ve been the snow has been terrible. If you’re there for a week then the chances are if you are anywhere anything other than a novice skier you’ll be skied out in the first day. The Town/villages are scruffy, the Bulgarians, though nice people and friendly, are a bit……well rough and ready I guess you could describe it as. On the plus side things are dirt cheap there, food is great and plentiful – a slap up 3 course meal for a family of 4 plus 2 adults with beer and wine at a decent hotel restaurant came in at about £50 in total. The local beers are better than the mass produced crap you get in the UK, and the nightlife seems ‘lively’ if that is what you’re after.

Of course it is better than no skiing (assume you get snow), but have you looked into driving to the Alps and staying outside of the resort? A chap at work did that a few years ago, got 5 guys together, shared a car, stayed at a village along the valley outside of the main resort so drove too and from the lift, self catering of course. I think they paid about £375pp for the accommodation, fuel and Chunnel fees split between 5 people etc. I think the whole thing came in for a shade under £500pp.

Also in Solden last year I got chatting to a German couple who were staying in small cabin’s/sheds. Not luxurious, but basic, warm and dry. Can’t remember what they said they paid, but it wasn’t alot.

There are many options to explore before you head for Bulgaria.

singletrackmind

I wouldnt bother. Learnt there many years ago and it was poor then.
    You will be able to find better for similar money in Europe. Andorra can get amazing conditions and is duty free.
    You may have to wait to book last minute but you should find a deal that suits. If you have to book time off at work in advance then that obviously limits things abit. I can cancel my hols and go to work instead .

GrahamS

Honestly have a look at Slovakia. Been there three times and it has always been great fun.
    Bulgarian level cheapness (beer for a euro, two course sit-down meal in a slopeside restaurant for six euros) but fairly modern lifts and facilities.

dknwhy

Second Graham’s suggestion of Slovakia if you’re after a cheap break.
    Loads of other stuff to do if the others get bored.
    Chalet Slovakia is great and Dan will tailor the trip to whatever you need. He bikes too! Every time I see him I try to convince him to buy a fat bike for out there…

iain1775
    Free Member

Went to Bansko a good few years ago, it was okay for the beginners and me as an intermediate snowboarder
    Wasn’t too busy, the lessons my wife had where pretty decent, spoke good English, some of the skiers had different experiences though
    Wife broke her wrist half way through the holiday ,the medical attention she got was first class, very surprisingly good
    Hotel was good but it was 4-5* standard (and cheap) with decent enough food. Second the heavy smoking though
    I did Andorra a few years before, would say they where comparable piste wise but Andorra had a better vibe and has probably developed a lot more,since compared to Bulgaria

danradyr1
    Free Member

For beginners it is good, for intermediates and advanced i’d save my money for next year. I went there for my first skiing holiday and it was excellent. My wife who was a good skier did all the runs in one day.

oliverracing

I personally haven’t been skiing in eastern europe but I went with a group of friends who previously had skied in Bansko to Switzerland. After skiing in Bansko they were amazing by how good the swiss pistes were and how high tech the ski lifts were! They also apparently skied for ~2 hours a day in Bansko as by the afternoon the slopes were destroyed and they’d done the majority of the resort anyway.

We even worked out it was about 40% the price per skiing hour to go to Switzerland as we were skiing from 9am through to 5:30 if the weather was good! I’ll admit we did have reasonable cheap accommodation through some connections but even with normal accommodation prices it would have still be cheaper per skiing hour (which is what matters to me!)

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Went to Borovets last January and we were really lucky with snowfall so the slopes were great. Slopes weren’t too congested and kept me occupied (i hadn’t boarded for 4 years). Hotel was clean and modern, we were half board…..the food was sooooo bad we ate out every night but one, beer was fairly cheap too. Would i go again? yes but bear in mind the holiday was incredibly cheap and not a patch on france for example. If you’re skint and its bulgaria or nothing, do it! 🙂

tom200

Not been since 97′ it was good then, we had over 1m of snow, although this can be hit and miss. It was ridiculously cheap though, we could eat out with wine for under £5! Taxis are rather scarey though, vodka+taxi+snow 😯

TheDTs
    Free Member

That vid still has me in bits.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Me too 🙂

OP there are plenty of small French resorts (ie not on Brit package circuit) or small hotels out of resort centers where if you are prepared to drive to the slopes you can stay very cheaply. If that’s of interest I’ll dig out some recommendations.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks everyone! Plenty to think about…

hammerite
    Free Member

The key to cheapness is either a) a cheap deal with a TO or b) go DIY and manage to get cheap flights/transfers or drive.

I actually find that transfers can be more expensive than flights sometimes. Go for somewhere within an hour of an airport for lower cost transfers.

£600 per person all in is definitely possible (but not spendo), especially if not planning to go in school hols/February. We’re going to Hinterglemm for Christmas for £400 each (flights, transfers, half board in hotel) plus lift passes. As others have said Snowcoach and Rocketski offer good alternatives.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dan you have to join to see details so please edit in dates etc

danradyr1
    Free Member

It’s half board in Morzine with Inghams. Just give them a ring:

When
    18, 25 Mar; +£50 23 Dec; +£100 11 Mar
    How to Book This Deal

Tap here to book online at Inghams
    Call Inghams at 01483 345750
    Quote promo code Travelzoo.

Quoted price is £400. For £450 you could be there over Christmas. V good deal imo

bluebird
    Free Member

Sub £600 is easliy do-able with Crystal and the like. We’ve just paid £700 and that includes flights, transfers, half board, lift tickets and top end ski rental.

GrahamS

£600 per person all in is definitely possible (but not spendo), especially if not planning to go in school hols/February.

I’d say only possible if you avoid school hols.

The Feb half-term especially causes an eye-watering price hike:

Oh look, taking our family of four during half term will cost us an extra £2600 compared with the week before! 😯

bgascoyne
    Free Member

If you are willing to do a late deal you will easily get under £600 to the Alps. I did this two years in a row (3 years back) – booking a week before hand and got deals for £300, fully catered, airfare, transfers etc etc. Of course you cant be to fussy on location but most of the resorts the TO’s go to are main stream and will be better than Bulgaria. If there is an even number of you it will be even easier! There are always late deals available if you have the nerves. good luck

bluebird
    Free Member

I’d say only possible if you avoid school hols.

True, but the OP doesn’t mention school holidays.

surfer
    Free Member

Sub £600 is easliy do-able with Crystal and the like. We’ve just paid £700 and that includes flights, transfers, half board, lift tickets and top end ski rental.

What resort and where are you flying from? Best half board on Crystal Ski at the moment is around £670 (in Jan) this leaves you £30 for your ski and lift pass hire. Good deal!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

more to think about! ta

4th feb is our week, so before holidays – phew! flying pref from brizzle, but are thinking about london too.

shifter
    Free Member

I think one of the French zones start their HT on the 4th.

jamiep
    Free Member

Im off to Slovakia again this season. Jasna resort is now the size of a large French one, a big new lift has gone in every 1 or 2 years for the last 8 years. It will be my 5th or 6th time there.
    I always stay with Paul at Propoganda, the first Brit to set up there
    http://chaletjasna.co.uk/
    Easyjet flights, board bag carriage, airport transfer and accomm will be £420. Lift pass is cheaper than France etc, 1.30e a pint

Edit: their chalets might all already be full

chrssmale
    Free Member

I’ve been with Silverski last few years. Sign up for their news letter to get some deals. The price always drops a few weeks before the dates.
    Managed to get La Plagne on the 12 Dec for £300 pp.

Not the most luxurious of chalets. But Flights (Gatwick or Manchester), board, Cooked breakfast (no bacon). Coffee and cake each evening + 3 course meal with unlimited wine.

All the chalets I’ve stayed in have always been very close to the slopes too.

We went to Borovets about 13 years ago. Never again

chrismac

Depends what you want to do

If you want to do a little bit of skiing and lots of partying then its great.

If you want to go skiing as your priority then its rubbish

bluebird
    Free Member

What resort and where are you flying from? Best half board on Crystal Ski at the moment is around £670 (in Jan) this leaves you £30 for your ski and lift pass hire. Good deal!

Not sure how you go that as the best deal.

Les Deux Alpes, France, 3* Half Board, 7th Jan, from Gatwick £429

There are lower prices than that too, if you hunt around through the various countries.

jam-bo

UCPA/action outdoors is good value for money. accomodation is basic but more than adequate.

surfer
    Free Member

Cheapest H/B 7th Jan on Crystal Ski to Les Deux Alps is £1129 from Gatwick! Cheapest French resort I can see is £589.

bluebird
    Free Member

Not sure why you can’t the same deals I can.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘budget skiing – is bulgaria that bad?’ is closed to new replies.