Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Budget single speed build
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m single speeding this.

I’ve got some old LX cranks so can I just use the 32T middle ring with a 16T on the rear and will I need a tensioner as the frame’s got vertical dropouts?

Chain wise will a standard 9spd chain work or should I use a half link?

I know the loft is a mess 😳 we’ve only been here 3 years so we’e still technically unpacking. I don’t have the luxury of a man-cave to myself unlike some of you lucky buggers.

As always thanks in advance.

dawson

yes, I just used middle ring from a triple chainset, and a 16t sprocket – I decided to go for a SS specific chain, and run a tensioner (as I run with a bit of excess chain as I sometimes change to an 18t sprocket when it gets gloopy).

A half link chain may negate the need to use a tensioner.

Kato

Good work! Here’s my old Kula as an SS. The forks have been replaced with P2’s now though

I use a standard 9spd chain with an unramped Hope 32T

andrewh
    Free Member

9sp will be fine.
    I use a 9sp chain on a 9sp ring with a sprocket off an old cassette and this is fine. The sprocket is spaced on a 9sp hub with two bits of plastic plumbing pipe.
    I did use an old rear mech with the limit screws in the right place but now have a proper tensioner. The only purchase you will need to make (assuming you have the rest of the bike somewhere!) is some shorted chainring bolts, about £3 iirc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

old rear mech works as tensioner – better IME.

jezandu
    Free Member

Yes you can get away with using the 32t on the front and you’re ok for the back but the chainline may not be right. Ideally you should have a single 16t sprocket and spacers to allow a smooth running transmission. You can get these from Charlie the bikemonger, velosolo or on-one for not much money. Yes you will have to use a tensioner to take any slack out of the chain.

I do have a step by step guide on my blog under technical help. http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

9 speed chain is also fine.

Jez. North East Single Speed

eyerideit
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    old rear mech works as tensioner – better IME.

Thanks Al- I’ve got an RR mech that no one wants, so I’ll use that. Are you saying to run the chain through the mech as you would normally?

I’ve got most of original bike lying around the work stand (the wheels can be seen in the background).

P2’s – threaded
    Kona Control Centre headset
    Velocity stem + orig 50cm Ti bars (wide huh?)

Kato your build looks great, what forks are you running?

I was planning to bung discs on but finding a 42cm fork with disc mount that has straight struts is neigh impossible. (pace have some 42cm RC31s but they’re £200 8O). So I’ve opted for Magura HS33s as I know that’s not really ‘budget’ but it’s cheaper than the disc route.

Then the whole frame will be wrapped in old inner tubes to stop the Epping clay/mud eating the frame.

Kato

They were a pair a bladed Aluminium Mosso things off eBay. Changed them for Kona P2’s now. THere’s something nice about an old Kona wearing P2 forks

eyerideit
    Free Member

You still running discs?

Kato

Yeah, no disc mount on the back though so running an A2Z adaptor and an Avid mount which has cone washers. Helps remedy the fact that the adaptor isn’t straight!

eyerideit
    Free Member

The P2s you got do they have disc tabs?

thepodge
    Free Member

I manage to run my old kona without any tensioner and it works but I think that’s a fluke

eyerideit
    Free Member

Turns out my middle ring looks like a giant ninjas throwing star so I’ll need one of them as well.

Here’s the bike half built.

Kato

eyerideit – Member

The P2s you got do they have disc tabs?

Yeah, IS mounts and no v-brake posts

Mowgli
    Free Member

The Alfine tensioners are quite good, less clunky than a rear mech but more effective than the simple bolt on ones with a roller. I happen to have a superstar standard tensioner for sale if you need (and a bunch of other v cheap bits!).

eyerideit
    Free Member

Mowgli – YGM, show me your wares.

eyerideit
    Free Member

First outing today, I snapped the chain (I’ll get a 1/8th chain), the tensioner is rubbish so I need to find a better one.

I had complaints that the bars are too small of on the hunt for some wider ones. I also might experiment with fatter tyres for a bit more suspension, but when it get really muddy thin tyres are best aren’t they?

Ride wise, arms aere a little tired from the rigid fork, arse isn’t sore and legs don’t feel tired (it was only 17miles) so all in all a positive feeling about riding SS. 😀

ourmaninthenorth

I used to use a tensioner like that – I ran the chain over the top and pushed the tensioner upwards. Seemed to get a good wrap round the sprocket.

Looks fantastic!

andrewh
    Free Member

Looks very nice.
    RE arms, you are stuck with sore ams I’m afraid. I had a similar set up to you, Maxlight steel rigis forks, RF alloy bars and I was using skinny tyres too, Panaracer 1.8″s. Even fireroads would leave me with sore arms.
    Now have Trigon carbon forks, Max-M carbon bars, foam grips and 2.3″ tyres. Far, far better.
    Those brakes are excellent, I had a set on my old SS. 5yrs old when i got the, used them for another 3 before i got a bike with disc mounts, never need any bleeding or anything, always worked. Be warned though, if it’s wet and sady mud they will eat pads at an alarming rate.

cookeaa

Mines a fire mountain nothing like as like as posh as an explosif.

I tensioned the chain using a bb mounted device it works better than the rear mounted POS I had before.

1/8″ chain and rings I got a good 32t ring from velosolo for ~£20 I think goldtech do some decent ones too.

dawson

thought I’d post a picture of mine, since I commented earlier (and its turning into a Kona SS love-in) 🙂
    Points of interest – purple bottle cage, v-brakes, probably a fraction too much chain,Bombers, milk-bottle mud-guard (not pretty but practical)

hosepipe
    Free Member

i’ve got a decent tensioner if you’re interested. a godspeed one, very nicely made and a good looking subtle thing. all adjustable . yours for a tenner posted http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/330817338286?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

hosepipe
    Free Member

it’s new and unused by the way… no worries if not

breadcrumb

Seeing as we’re showing the love for SS Konas here’s mine-

The colour looks better in the flesh, but it spends most of it time caked in mud this time of year

steveoath
    Free Member

Mucho kona love. Think I’ll join in. Mine is in commuter mode at the moment.

Kato

Is that a half link chain? I can’t get mine to run without a tensioner using a normal 9spd chain

cynic-al
    Free Member

it’s sliding dropouts

Kato

Ah yes. Where are my glasses……

eyerideit
    Free Member

hosepipe – mail me eyerideit AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

Looks like we’re having another Kona lovefest 😀

steveoath: what forks are you running they look like RC31’s?

I’m on the hunt for some old suss forks as well so if you have any laying around that might fit give me shout.

sam69
    Free Member

kato are those rigid forks on your kona?if so what make?

brassneck

I thought 32:17 was a magic ratio on those old steel Konas, so a halflink chain might get away without a tensioner.

I have a similar one in the garage but no 17t sprocket to confirm unfortunately.

eyerideit
    Free Member

brassneck – Member
    I thought 32:17 was a magic ratio on those old steel Konas, so a halflink chain might get away without a tensioner.

I’ll have to borrow a 17 to try it.

cookeaa

Have to say though running 32/16 on mine it verges on under geared surely 32/17 would be a bit of a spin fest…

mangoridebike

34:16 was the magic ratio on my old fire mountain, it was a 92 tho so things may have changed over the years, love these kona ss’s 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Same 34:16 here but again it’s an old one

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Budget single speed build’ is closed to new replies.