Budget road wheels

Home Forum Bike Forum Budget road wheels

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Budget road wheels
  • td66

Need a set of road wheels, but don’t want to spend much over the £120-130 mark. I’ve not much clue when it comes to road gear, I’ve seen Shimano RS30 and R500 wheelsets but can’t really tell much difference between them to justify the price difference. Also noticed the Planet X AL30s.

Which of those three are the best? And is there anything else I should be looking at?

All advice appreciated.

whatnobeer

Planet X Model B used to be the go-to wheelset on a budget. Good weight for the price and not expensive at all. Not sure what they retail at the moment?

Rob Hilton

Also being a bit clueless in this dept. I went for Shimano RS20s as replacements for the crash damaged ones I had. They’re ok for me, but I do know the spoke nipples are a silly size and suitable keys are like rockinghorse poop and a rip off.

If I was going for another replacement set I’d probly do the general recommendation from here of Mavic Open Pro rims (forget which hubs) & self build.

Mary Hinge

Planet X Model B.

HTTP404

Shimano RS30s have got to be worth a look.
    Plenty on huge discount at the mo.
    Not the lightest wheelset but well featured and will spin-up nice enough.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Parker’s have a nice set of Easton’s reduced at present

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

RS 30’s from Merlin for me. Replaced some handbuilts – stiffer, slightly harsher but seem faster.

Stupidly tough – been offroad and hammered over some bad surfaces but still true.
    Highly recommended.

Another silly prejudice banished, factory wheels are actually very good these days.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

RS30s here too…

Got a pair on my CX & a pair on my winter road bike..

Bombproof so far.

Spotty Dog IMHO..

R500’s for the lighter rider + a pair of conti GP4000s tyres.?

h4muf

Got R500’s on my ‘cross bike,bloody bombproof.

Paid £50 for a brand new set!

td66

Thanks for the replies folks, so Model B Vs RS30 I think. Model Bs are a bit lighter than the Shimano set so I think that’s what I’ll go for.

mudsux

you’ve made the classic beginners error….weight is not everything.

windjammer

have a word with big al at wheelcraft i got a pair of xt hubs on drc st19 for 170

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

I have model b’s and shimano rs10’s.

The rs10’s keep breaking spokes on the rear non drive side – 3 so far.

model b’s have been fine. the rear wasn’t as tight as it could have been, but a turn on each nipple with the spoke key sorted that out. They are very very good for the money, and much better than the shimano rs-10/20/30’s.

Another advantage of the model b’s is you can use any j-bend spoke to replace broken ones if needed… the shimano ones need shimano specific straight pulls. The thread on shimano spokes seems short as well, so you should really use the shimano specific nipples, which need their own spoke driver.

I’ve had pains with my rs 10s 🙁

Gary_M

I’ve tried a few of the wheels mentioned above on my commuter and have always gone back to mavic aksiums. They just work very well. Tried rs10’s and didn’t have any spoke issues.

Bought some planet x a57 wheels about a month ago to replace aksiums with worn rims and I wish I’d just gone with aksiums. Not happy with the planet x wheels at all, very flexy, rear wheels has a constant knocking sound and they just don’t feel right. I’ll need to take the rear hib apart to see what the issue is, which isn’t great for a new set of wheels.

clubber

have always gone back to mavic aksiums. They just work very well.

Until the hub ‘flanges’ explode IME…

To reply to the OP, I’d suggest second hand – so long as the rims still have plenty of wear left then you’ll save lots and get much better wheels for your money or save money for the same performance.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

you’ve made the classic beginners error….weight is not everything.

Well no, but the Shimanos aren’t aero either, which is the other area of improvement I’d look for.

I’d get the model Bs unless the Shimanos were far cheaper.

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

To reply to the OP, I’d suggest second hand

I’ve a set of Xero wheels, which have done hardly any miles (bought 4 years ago, but changed 2+ years ago with only dry riding in between).

Mail me (in profile) if you want more info.

Gary_M

Until the hub ‘flanges’ explode IME…

Think I’ve had four sets now and not had an issue with hub flanges.

clubber

I had two sets, both exploded. Must be my fat arse I guess…

Gary_M

How many miles are you putting in them clubber? Maybe I wear the rims out before the hub flanges go.

And what do you mean by exploded?

clubber

Not silly miles though they were also used for CX. They are well known for the flange problem though – it’s definitely not just me.

Gary_M

Having googled it this looks to be a problem from a couple of years ago. I only use mine commuting though which is closer to what the op would use them for.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Budget road wheels’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top