Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • budget road light
  • sam69
    Free Member

im after a good budget front light to use on the road please,without spending silly money?

4ags4
    Free Member

What sort of budget are you looking at?

sam69
    Free Member

£40

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mate got the usb rechargeable niterider minewt from halfords for £30

sam69
    Free Member

THE cree looks good ,is the halfords one any good?

plumber
    Free Member

I just got the commuter set from c&b

Excellent

sam69
    Free Member

C & B were is that please?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Run time.?

slugwash
    Free Member

One of these These

Another Cree LED Torch… by Slugwash, on Flickr

…mounted on the handlebars with either a bit of inner tube or a light mount off of ebay…

003/365 – Ashprington Volcanic by Slugwash, on Flickr

….or mounted on a helmet….

Bodged Helmet Mount…. by Slugwash, on Flickr

You only need to use it on low mode on the road so it lasts for ages and you can adjust the beam to get rid of light rings or to suit the terrain, and no bloody wires or seperate battery pack 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

None of those are road lights, they are ****t lights. Good only for blinding drivers. Get yourself something with a reflector in, puts all the light on the road where its of use.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Get yourself to tkmax

slugwash
    Free Member

None of those are road lights, they are ****t lights. Good only for blinding drivers

Depending on the OP’s road roading environment, not necessarily true.

Overkill for urban riding in a streetlit area but not in rural situations. With a helmet mounted light you can change the beam direction so it’s not pointing towards the retinas of oncoming drivers (and you’d probably dip your head in that situation to avoid being blinded yourself) And a strong light presence from you, the rider, makes a difference between oncoming drivers stopping to let you past or squeezing past you, often at speed, in narrow country lanes.

sam69
    Free Member

THANKS guys great help and good advice nice one

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

always true – that is a crazy amount of light to chuck out on the road – you will seriously hurt the night vision of any driver that comes across you – very irresponsible.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I use one of those Magicshine MJ872 lights which are supposed to produced loads of lumens. I only have one light for mtb/road. When I use it on the road, I only bother with the lowest setting. Car drivers often flash their lights at me.

Get some sort of all in one thing, so you don’t have cables trailing everywhere.

Anyone got any recommendations (about 400lm and decent burn times)?

STATO
    Free Member

Have you tried a reasonable dynamo light?

I have a MaxxD and even a cheap dynamo light puts more light on the road at speed. And just like car and motorbike lights, they are plenty visible without having to ride around with the equivalent of ‘main-beam’ on all the time.

jkomo

Look at the twin half watt rear £2.50, and the 3 watt front £5 at On One.
    I’m not joking either.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh aye, I’ve just bought a Niterider Lumina 500, so I’ll probably have my magicshine up for sale soon. Great for blinding rivers with.

organdonor
    Free Member

Great for blinding rivers with

😯

On-One cheapness for lit roads here

sam69
    Free Member

JKOMO have you got these lights?

Muke
    Free Member

I use my cheap Chinese light for everything and just clip a bit of waste pipe onto it so it doesn’t blind other road users but still gives me enough light to see with. Not pretty but it works well especially on night rides with mixture of road and off road.

jkomo

A friend has the on ones, seem great.
    Get them anyhow, if not bright enough, use as back up or flashers.
    £2.50! Mental.

TiRed

Now a bargain at £40 the Cateye EL620 is superb. Well made, bright enough for dark lanes and not too big on the bars. I like it almost as much as my Exposure Strada.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘budget road light’ is closed to new replies.