Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Budget petrol chainsaw recommendations
  • Pook

I’m not stupid. I’ll take all necessary precautions. I’m not one for just bounding up all GTA style and wielding the thing about.

I fully intend to read up and apply a liberal dose of common sense.

But may go at it with a bow saw

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m not stupid. I’ll take all necessary precautions. I’m not one for just bounding up all GTA style and wielding the thing about.

using a chainsaw in a tree is not something to take litely – imsure you have the jist by now but seriously not something i would consider – and i have been present throughout the process many a time when i was younger as a tree surgeons mate summer job doing the processing and clean up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can never quite work out if these are elaborate trolls or you really are just going to watch a You tube video then climb a tree in your jeans and trainers and start cutting it down.

richmars

Fine. I’m in no way an expert, but I use a chain saw most weekends. I don’t even lift it above my shoulders when it’s going, and that’s with both feet on the ground. I don’t move without putting the break on. Maybe I’m overcautious, but I’ve still got 2 legs and 2 arms.

Good luck.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Slight hijack, sorry… 🙂
    Roughly speaking, how often should I be changing the chain on my chainsaw? Or how do I know it needs changing?
    I give it a light sharpen every tank of fuel so I’d spot any damage but it must have a wear limit..?

richmars

Roughly speaking, how often should I be changing the chain on my chainsaw? Or how do I know it needs changing?

Until you can’t sharpen it anymore. Some chains have an engraved mark that shows the limit.

globalti
    Free Member

You’ll know it’s blunt when it stops gouging wood out in long clean chips and begins just producing sawdust.

Pook

I can never quite work out if these are elaborate trolls or you really are just going to watch a You tube video then climb a tree in your jeans and trainers and start cutting it down.

I like to keep you guessing junky, but it’s nice that you’re thinking about me

granny_ring

You’ll know it’s blunt when it stops gouging wood out in long clean chips and begins just producing sawdust.

Yep what he said.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you want to do it yourself with a bow-saw, perhaps the safest way is:

1 tie a rope to the branch
    2 climb tree and cut branch – but not completely (you’ll learn to judge how much…)
    3 climb down off tree, pull rope to break branch
    (3b climb back up to complete the cut if necessary)

repeat for all branches…

If you want to use a chainsaw, it’s easier:

1 phone up a tree surgeon
    2 sit back and watch

30ft is not all that huge, if you’ve got patience and common sense it should be ok. But still, not with a chainsaw unless you’ve got space to fell it in one (ie, there’s nothing that matters within range of the tree).

timber

PeterPoddy – Some chains have guide markers, you can normally go a few mm beyond them. The end for us is normally when the tooth gets stuck between the guide and file during sharpening or we start losing teeth. Rakers are normally filed away entirely by this point.

Kuco

I love watching people with a blunt saw they start moving the chainsaw backwards and forwards hoping it will saw through the timber 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep what he said.

It might be what he said but neither of you read my question did you? So you’re both wrong! 🙂

Timber, thanks I’ll look for the marker but from your description I’ve got a long way to go yet. Cheers!

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t be silly! Jeans and trainers are far too casual, blazer and tie at least 🙂

Everyone has their own tolerance of risk and whilst using a chainsaw can have a high penalty if it goes wrong, it’s not inherently dangerous otherwise they’d be more difficult to get hold of.

A new user can reduce risk by training. Either formal or from someone who knows the game, wearing appropriate gear and being bloody cautious. Even one of those lopper saw things could result in an injury. The thing could cut you or the lopped branch land on yer noggin.

I’m not keen on cutting in the air but sometimes it has to be done. The main thing I find is to undercut the bough a bit (25-30%) before cutting from above to avoid pinching the chain. I’ve no idea if this is the ‘approved’ way but it seems to work……… so far (for about 20 years so far) 😉

thecaptain
    Free Member

“tolerance of risk”

Problem is I doubt that untrained people have much of a clue about the magnitude of the risk when using a chainsaw, nor how to reduce it. There are about as many chainsaw injuries per year in the USA as gun deaths. Which when you consider the limited use most people make of chainsaws, plus the fact that many gun deaths are actually deliberate shootings, makes chainsaw seem pretty dangerous to me!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Watched some RHS tree surgeons once who said they hardly ever use chainsaws up trees, preferred to use a good quality hand saw, Silky I think but other brands are available. Almost as quick and a lot easier to handle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“. Even one of those lopper saw things could result in an injury. The thing could cut you or the lopped branch land on yer noggin.”

A cut from a lopper saw or a branch landing on your noggin is much less severe than a chainsaw cut.

think skin grafts……. and if it hits bone your talking one leg shorter than the other due to the thickness of the cut.

ive seen it done , but it was a small chainsaw – the saw and the operator were tied off seperately with the saw on a longer rope than the operator and the item being cut was tied to the land rover….. it was not done out of preferance but the fact it was a large limb being removed.

timber

Peter – not all chains have the markers, so you may be a long time looking (unless it’s Oregon 73). The file/guide snag is a pretty good indicator of having got your moneys worth.

Stevenmenmuir – other brands are available, but they aren’t half as good 😉

Unexpected small branch hitting chainsaw helmet seems like a massive bough at point of impact, you will crap yourself and struggle to find something big enough laying nearby to justify the shock you had. The first time anyway.

Pook
    thecaptain
    Free Member

Well done!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

How long were you stranded at the top before Mrs Pook took your picture?

Good effort, awaits the felling video of the stump.

granny_ring

It’ll be down during the night 🙂
    Good work OP.

Pook

oh it’s down already! Now i have the weird issue of trying to work out what the hell the growl at 21 seconds is…..

[video]http://vimeo.com/152023139[/video]

granny_ring

Fair play!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Budget petrol chainsaw recommendations’ is closed to new replies.