Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Budget or secondhand women's mtb
  • j2b2
    Free Member

Hi
    My gf is getting more into cycling and is looking to get an entry level mtb or something secondhand.
    Any advice?
    We are riding dirt roads more than concrete cycle paths and I think mtb is better suited than a hybrid.
    She has never bought a bike before and is only thinking she wants a lower crossbar and good brakes – she is safety obsessed 🙂
    We went to Decathlon and they just recommended getting a smaller sized men’s bike – gf was unimpressed and a bit shocked how heavy the entry level bikes are compared to the much lighter bikes I have at home. But still doesn’t want to pay more 🙁
    Thanks in advance!

CheesybeanZ

Budget and size bike/ rider might help in recommendations .

j2b2
    Free Member

350gb / 160cm / probably a size M.
    Thanks.

ahsat

On a related aside, get her to check out MtbChix&Trails on facebook. Group of over 1000 women who ride and as a result all sorts of questions get asked by a range of people. Mainly mtb focused, but a range of ladies from DH to pottering about the park. Worth her checking it out. Also there is a separate sales page and therefore lots of women sized bikes come up secondhand.

zilog6128

Laura Trott MTB1 would’ve been perfect, unfortunately don’t seem to be on Halfords website anymore, no doubt awaiting the much more expensive replacement!

northerntom
    Free Member

This is likely going to be something I’ll come up against in the next 12 months.

If I was buying any bike under £2k now, I would always go second hand, so that answers one question.

Due to general short supply of 2nd hand womens mtb’s, I would consider a mens that was the right size. If a man is 5”10 and same torso etc measurements, and a woman is the same size, she should have the same size bike.

ahsat

However it is pretty rare that a women’s body/leg ratio is the same as a mans. Women over about 5’8″ can normally get away with it but it does depend on the bike. I can’t ride my OHs Liteville even though we are the same height as my legs are about 3″ longer so need a load of seat post out and can’t reach the bars properly. So yes, for tall women you can normally get away with it, but I know many women fit a women’s bike much better. Fortuantly the likes of Liv, Julianna, Cannondale are vastly improving the women’s market. With the OHs girlfriend being 5’3″ she doesn’t have much choice in men’s!

For info, I’m 5’9″ and have always ridden ‘unisex’ bikes.

kayla1
    Free Member

Look about for a good second hand XS or small 26″ hardtail rather than buying new. I’m 5’8″ (172cm) and ride a small 26″ Soul, a medium would be too big for your OH OP I reckon.

+1 on the bikes just being bikes thing, not ‘mens’ or ‘womens’- FFS, is this the 1950s? 😆 If a fella owns and rides a Juliana is it still a ‘womens’ bike, or is it a ‘mens’ bike because it’s owned and ridden by a fella?

northerntom
    Free Member

However it is pretty rare that a women’s body/leg ratio is the same as a mans.

Agree, hence the comment:

I would consider a mens that was the right size. If a man is 5”10 and same torso etc measurements, and a woman is the same size, she should have the same size bike.

If a woman has exactly the same body measurements as me, she would suit riding the same bike. Gender makes no difference

ahsat

Sorry northern. I misread the tone.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m selling a 2009 Giant Cypher MTB full sus, in immaculate condition. It’s a size small. Was worth £2000 when new has upgraded Saint brakes, Easton haven bars and stem, good Mavic wheels. I want £500 in Oxfordshire. If you want more information email me franwhyte AT hotmail DOT com and I can send you pictures etc over.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m selling a 2009 Giant Cypher MTB full sus, in immaculate condition. It’s a size small. Was worth £2000 when new has upgraded Saint brakes, Easton haven bars and stem, good Mavic wheels. I want £500 in Oxfordshire. If you want more information email me franwhyte AT hotmail DOT com and I can send you pictures etc over.

singletracksurfer

Mate got his wife the Laura Trott MTB1 which was reduced to £350 (medium only) – bargainous – search around and see if you can find one still.

stevextc
    Free Member

However it is pretty rare that a women’s body/leg ratio is the same as a mans.

Is the difference really bigger than between men and men or women and women for a given height?

and do most manufacturers actually do anything different except make a XS frame with the same chainstay length as the “mens” large anyway?

So far as I’ve seen most don’t even change the crank length …just randomly looking at a Liv Pique 2 and the cranks are Shimano SLX which means minimum 165mm on the XS (and it doesn’t actually say but ) …. whereas had they speced SRAM NX cranks they start at 155mm

bikingjax
    Free Member

I have a womens specific carbon 29er hardtail size 15inch,which I will be selling shortly,when my new bike arrives,or may sell before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Budget or secondhand women's mtb’ is closed to new replies.