Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Budget hybrid bike for roads/cycle paths?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Looking for a cheapish hybrid for my girlfriend, she wants to get into riding but at the minute doesn’t fancy doing any proper off road, just the local country lanes and gravel cycle paths for now. Was looking at cx bikes but I don’t think she likes the idea of drop bars or the less upright roadie geometry. Don’t think suspension is needed for now, just something with decent enough drive train and disc brakes which can be upgraded as and when it needs it!

Budget is £400 or less, willing to go 2nd hand. The Boardman Hybrid comp looks pretty decent for the money. How does the sizing work? She’s only 5’4″ and the Halford site is recommending the 17″ for that which seems a bit big by mtb standards?

Anything else to look at ?

copa
    Free Member

It’s not going to have disc brakes but you should take a look at some vintage mountain bikes. Something classy and rigid from the 90s.

Think this has gone now but it’s the type of thing:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/nos-mbk-retro-steel-early-1990-s-vintage-mountain-bike-brand-new-never-ridden/1143724665

boriselbrus
    Free Member

/Taps nose knowingly/

If you are looking at the Boardman wait until tomorrow.

/Taps nose again/

smokey_jo

Those boardman fi comp hybrids are nice kit – the bb5 brakes are a little heavy at the lever for small hands – but changing the brake inners to gear inners solves this.

The Maxxis detonators that come as standard are only 25mm so fatter tyres would be on my list too.

The standard seat is a bit of a razor blade to according to t’other half so maybe try and negotiate a change at sale time.

mattbee

To be fair, £400 is hardly ‘budget’ for the type of bike you are after.
    The Boardman ones are really good, even if you can’t wait another day…

Earl
    Free Member

This makes me wish I need another hybrid bike

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-filter-flat-bar-road-bike-p296255

zanelad
    Free Member

I recently bought a Boardman Hybrid Comp. I’m very pleased with it. Got it when they had a 10% off promotion by buying a set of tyre levers which took the purchade to £401 and paid £360.

Good value for that price.

I to changed the saddle to a Charge Spoon, much comfier.

_tom_
    Free Member

/Taps nose knowingly/

If you are looking at the Boardman wait until tomorrow.

/Taps nose again/

😀

What of the sizing then? 45cm be ok for someone around 5’4″? May have to get a shorter stem as she has short arms as well!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just bought this for my sister and it’s a lovely bike- no discs but the frame is top notch, wheels good and it’s got a carbon fork.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-alight-1-dd-womens-hybrid-bike-id85819.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-ZSzBRDp3ITHm5KO_JYBEiQA1JjHHDUmYcC_jbYk33p44JtdjeGYgp96GhECBZKN7EU47FEaAo648P8HAQ

She’d likely be a size small, but is on the borderline for a medium.

Northwind

I’ve replaced a lot of the parts of my boardman but the basic bike is really good. Ridgeback probably worth checking out too, my boss has one of theirs and it’s not light but it’s indestructible. Very well thought out commuter really.

matt_outandabout

Evans have some ex demo / display bikes on daft cheap.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Budget hybrid bike for roads/cycle paths?’ is closed to new replies.