Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Budget GPS that will give me some sort of navigation
  • rhid

Hello,

I am looking for a cheap and cheerful GPS which I can navigate by. I don’t really care if its like a sat nav or a more basic thing where I can follow a pre-planned route, or something inbetween! Cheap is the key here.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

qwerty
    Free Member

But a second-hand Garmin Etrex 20 or similar. It’s what I did. Fantastic for just following a pre planned / downloaded route.

qwerty
    Free Member

The mapping on it could be your expense, I purchased mine from https://talkytoaster.me.uk

nickjb
    Free Member

Use your phone. Free

rhid

I thought about my phone but its a bag of poop and not waterproof.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Tried Google Maps?

Lezyne Y10 bike computers do “turn by turn” navigation using the Lezyne website or their Ally V2 app, their gadgets are often on promo at Probikekit like my Super GPS for £102 this summer.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Garmin 500 do a bread crumb pointy arrow navigation and they can be had for a mere handful of pounds nowadays

rhid

I was looking at the Leyzne Super GPS. It seems to be well priced.

ransos
    Free Member

Garmin 500 do a bread crumb pointy arrow navigation and they can be had for a mere handful of pounds nowadays

True, and they work reasonably well for a planned road route as a tcx download will flash up turn by turn directions. Much less useful for mtb IME.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If we’re going to be honest, without proper readable detailed OS maps all GPS units are pretty useless for off-road routing.

ThePinkster

Does this give you everything you need? You can download routes to it but I’ve no idea how clear it is to follow.

Garmin Edge 25 – £79

Bez

If we’re going to be honest, without proper readable detailed OS maps all GPS units are pretty useless for off-road routing.

Broadly true, although if you use the Openfietsmap maps you get some trails, which may be enough in some places.

@OP, is this for road or off-road? And what’s your definition of “cheap”? Are you going to be downloading routes that have been pre-planned by you or someone else, or do you also want to navigate on the fly?

As above, a cheap secondhand Garmin (£50-100) is probably your best bet, but it depends what you really want it for…

richardthird

Similarly, but without the mapping bit, anyone here use an Edge 25 off road? I’ve read of problems with accuracy on the twisties because of it’s “smart” variable GPS sampling rate.

turboferret

2nd hand Garmin Edge 800 sounds like a good bet. They appear to go for under £100 on eBay.

Cheers, Rich

sandwicheater

Got a Garmin 25 with a plan to use the bread crumb thing but battery life was very poor, with most things turned off I struggled to get 4-5 hours from it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Budget GPS that will give me some sort of navigation’ is closed to new replies.