Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Budget for motorcycle kit?
  • MrSparkle

Thinking of getting back into biking again. something like SV650.
    How much am I looking at roughly for medium range kit?
    Helmet
    one piece leathers
    gloves
    boots
    waterproof oversuit.

benp1

I haven’t bought new kit for a while so I could be well out, but in my head I’ve had something like
    helmet – £250-300
    leathers – £250-£400
    gloves – £60-80
    boots – £100-150
    waterproofs – £50

PS – 1 piece leathers, are you sure?

PPS – took my fireblade out on Sunday for the first time this year. Awesomes! Think I might need another helmet at some point though, they’re a good few years old now (9 years and 6 years)

br
    Free Member

For helmets I used to go for sponsored-type helmets where the riders had changed brands/schemes. Usually top/good quality ones at serious discounts (Ally Pally was always a good place for a bargain).

Leathers-wise, as much as you can afford and then some – don’t overpay for names though.

Boots, Daytona – yes, expensive but last for ever.

sobriety
    Free Member

That’s about right BenP, Just replaced my lid as the lining was falling to bits, £295 for a base level shoei.

I need to get the engine rebuilt on my RS for summer…

Edit: watch out for the scam kit websites, there are a few about offering kit at far too low to be true prices.

Edit Edit: the most important thing about helmets is to get one that fits right, if you’re lucky it’ll be lazer/agv, if you’re unlucky it’ll be arai…

grenosteve
    Free Member

sobriety, is that a BMW RS you are referring to?

MrSparkle

Thanks for the responses. I’ll be commuting mostly so think I’ll be after some decent waterproofs. I used to have some Rukka-alike’s back in the day which were good.

benp1

When I was commuting a lot I used to wear textile trousers and a leather jacket. In all weathers and throughout the year. I had a North Face jacket that would go over the top of my leather jacket, but I didn’t have to wear it that much

Always had waterproof boots (Altbergs for commuting), had too many different gloves

I have/had some Hein Gericke kit too, great value. And now they’ve gone bust the 2nd hand prices are pretty keen on ebay, might be worth a look if you know your size?

I’d always buy a new helmet though, have a look at Helmet City for good prices

Matt_SS_xc

depending on where you live….
    motorcyclemegastore in Swindon is well worth a visit. We live in Devon but took g/f there when she needed kit and I will be visiting soon for some new leathers. Huge range of stuff and usually lots on sale. We have found it worth the 2 hour trip just to be able to try lots of things on.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Local (as you can find these days) retailer for the helmet – it’s just not worth the potential £££ savings compared to buying something online that doesn’t fit properly.

As best, it’ll be uncomfortable, at worst…..

As per BenP’s list, that all looks pretty much bang on tbf, though a few quite specific tips (depending on whether you’re planning on riding in the wet much)

GLOVES – These are the *only* pair of gloves, be it motorcycle specific or otherwise, that have actually been 100% waterproof and faultless since I bought them.

http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/lindstrands-comet-gloves.html

Seriously, just buy a pair – how and why they’re only £60 I have no idea but get some before someone at Lindstrands cottons on.

BOOTS – I went through 2 pairs of Alpinestars in just under 3 years, whereby the (admittedly eyewateringly spendy) Daytonas I bought in 2010 are still going strong to date. I lucked out massively by getting them half price at the Scottish bike show, but a pair of either Daytona’s or AltBergs now will probably see you through your entire motorbiking career. Worth the investment, in my humble opinion.

OUTER KIT – Leathers/Textiles – if you’re going for textiles and want a budget option that far out-performs it’s price tag, have a look at Spada. A couple of the guys I ride with up here (Scotland) swear by it and having seen first hand them completely bone-dry underneath, I’m suitably impressed.

If going for the premium, buy-once and forget about it option, not a great deal out there to touch either Rukka or Klim tbh. My Klim kit hasn’t let a single drop in yet, and will have covered 20,000 miles ish thus far.

Just don’t, for the love of all things holy, touch anything with one of those stupid Goretex lockout zips with a bargepole – they’re absolute rubbish and should be set fire to immediately.

Leathers – I’m a bit out of touch with what’s good these days, my trusty old Furygan jacket has always been good though.

Other than that – enjoy, what a fine hobby to get back into!

sobriety
    Free Member

sobriety, is that a BMW RS you are referring to

Nope, it’s an Aprilia two stroke. Bottom end let go in November, and it ate the rest of the engine with it. When it works it’s great fun, when it doesn’t it’s £££

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Budget for motorcycle kit?’ is closed to new replies.