• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Budget DH bikes. Anyone built one?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Has anyone built themselves a DH bike on a budget? I have no idea whether certain frames are cheaper second hand than others, and if so, is this because they’re not up to the job (any to avoid?) or are there just more obscure makes that people may not have heard of? I wouldn’t use the bike that often but would like something that wouldn’t fall apart on it’s first trip out. I’m also guessing coil forks are a cheaper option than air? If anyone has built one up that isn’t running into the £1000’s then any tips would be much appreciated. Feel free to post a photo of your bargain pride and joy.

GW
    Free Member

you’d get something pretty good S/H complete for a grand

thv3
    Free Member

you’d get something pretty good S/H complete for a grand

+1

nickf
    Free Member

Yep, secondhand at a grand…the DH world is your oyster. 223 with 888s is the sort of thing you’ll get, and so long as you look carefully, you’ll get something really decent.

Gooner
    Free Member

have a look on southern downhill

kimbers

pinkbike
    southern downhill
    ebay

either a complete bike or in bits just be patient and see wot comes up

I built up an old stab for well under a grand and it was awesome

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

This was 1600, although i had the brakes, bars, tyres and pedals already.

Frame off sdh,an unbuilt unwanted warranty replacement with the old shock, forks and wheels off a mate,

Be patient and you will find a bargain.

julianwilson
    Free Member

If you have not many parts to put on it already, a complete S/H bike is definitely the best VFM. Depreciation on DH bikes is rather eyewatering so you will seem to get a fair bit for your money.

Avoid:
    -older shocks with no service agent in uk
    -08-’10 marzocchis (although it may just be this forum, i hear less moaning about 888’s than55’s or 66’s mind…)

Proceed with caution:
    -fox 40’s -fantastic when they work, but need more sensible/frequent servicing than others so more likely to be knackered at the cheap end of the market.

And make sure you can have a good look for cracks in the frame!

Rosss
    Free Member

There is a 2010 Orange 224 with 2010 boxxers and a great spec on gumtree for £900 atm. Gutted I dont have the cash

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2010-orange224-gbr-worldcup-downhill-bike/82695901#full-gallery-wrapper

Brycey
    Free Member

That’s a ridculous price for that bike! Something smells fishy, although it’s not obvious what.

Rosss
    Free Member

I know. There are stickers from a race team on it i think so it could have had a hard life. But he does say all is good condition wise. If I was close i’d like to have a look

GW
    Free Member

He says it’s never been raced and the stickers say “SITECH RACING”

http://sitechracing.co.uk/ (Nothing to do with DH racing)

Never seen that bike at any SDA and the pristine fork lowers say it’s not been on an uplift lorry.

Oh, and Racing DH isn’t really any harder on a DH bike than just riding DH can be (uplifts however can destroy bikes)

Rosss
    Free Member

Could have been a advertisement bike and the owners know very little about bikes?

GW
    Free Member

you could just ask the seller instead of making up your own little fantasy soap opera life for him.

seeing as it’s on gumtree he’ll be used to timewasters already 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Budget DH bikes. Anyone built one?’ is closed to new replies.