Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Budget camera
  • lovewookie

as there are quite a few picture takers on here, me not being one of them, I’m looking for a sub £100 camera for my daughter.

She really just wants something better than her phone camera, which wouldn’t be difficult tbh, but as we have that as a budget, thought I’d see if there were any recommendations from you lot.

so, reasonable pictures and a decent battery life would be good.

cheers

rendo
    Free Member

this isnt a recommendation for a particular camera, but i’ve had good deals from canon outlet on ebay. worth a look.

lovewookie

ok, will look.

have argos and pc world round the corner from me, but would like to see if I’m better off ordering something online before wandering in.

AlexSimon

It’s probably going to depend on what you want to compromise.

For example, this has a massive zoom for a cheap compact (note the original price):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0074K1JUE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo

Review here

But there may be cameras with just a 5x zoom that would perform better in image-quality terms.
    Although I haven’t got a particular £100 recommendation.

There may be some more pocketable too

jairaj

What kind of situations would she be using it in? If indoors at parties and gatherings she’d want something with a wide angle and something that copes better with poor light. If more outdoors stuff then might want something different.

Northwind

I got my last ixus from canon outlet, came in a plain box but you’d never know it wasn’t new. Cost about 50% the normal retail price. Pleased.

lovewookie

probably more for outdoor shots, she seems keen to start to capture landscapes and wildlife, but I’m pretty sure there will be a lot of selfies….;-)

CraigW
    Free Member

Lumix SZ3 is pretty good, you can get one for about £85. Pretty small, with a 10x zoom, seems to be reasonable image quality. It doesn’t have many settings to adjust, but usually works fine in auto mode. And you can get it in purple if you want.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

how old is your daughter Nik?

We’re thinking of getting a Nikon Coolpix S31/S30 if I can find one, for my 5 1/2 year old lad for christmas. He likes using my DSLR, and has a very good eye for framing pictures neatly, but i worry about him dropping it as its too big for him.

Decent pictures, fully waterproof, bombproof, fully-encased zoom lens etc. Perfect for kids (and clumsy fathers)

lovewookie

She’s nearly 14.

and quite dropsy.

It’ll not get the abuse of her phone, that doesn’t leave her hand, well, only when she drops it, which is at least twice a day.

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy a tough compact then. I got mine from stores.ebay.de/olympusmarket (although they seem to be all out currently, they do get regular lots from Olympus, being the official Olympus refurb outlet for Europe) and whilst it’s an ok compact, it is very tough which is great 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Budget camera’ is closed to new replies.