Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • budget but decent headset recommendations. …………
  • havinalaff
    Free Member

Hi
    Please recommend a new headset. Im after a 1″ 1/8 headset for yeti 575. Money isnt there for anything bling so im looking for well sealed and reliable for best possible price.

Thanks
    Rich

nuke

Assuming standard external 1 1/8th headset with 1 1/8th fork steerer…
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSOXL2/fsa_orbit_xl_2_headset

havinalaff
    Free Member

Thankyou. Looks a good suggestion and price. I think that stack might be touch and go as quita a tall headset but forgot to mention this in original post.

Ill measure up tonight but any other suggestions with lower stack height would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Rich

Edit. Just been looking at on one site. Has anyone tried the crank brothers headsets?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Can Creak S3 in my full-sus has never given me an issue, got it for about £20 IIRC.

althepal

S3 or xl2. Had both and theyve lasted years without any maintenance. .

havinalaff
    Free Member

I heard the s3 was good but has been discontinued. .. I shall look about.

zelak999
    Free Member

Bite the bullet and go for Hope. It will last a lifetime.

Mackem

Could you get away with just changing the bearings? Or do you really need a complete headset?

I got new bearings from superstar.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cane Creek 40 took the S3 place I think.

I’ve always got the orbit or the s3/40.

havinalaff
    Free Member

All the seals are buggered in th s3 that came in frame and was full of rusty gunk.

deadkenny
    Free Member

FSA Orbit can be had cheap. There are various types, but all do the job and good quality bearings and seals.

Northwind

havinalaff – Member

All the seals are buggered in th s3 that came in frame and was full of rusty gunk.

Sure it’s a proper S3? OEM often varies, I had a headset in my CX bike that looked exactly like an Orbit XL but had different bearings and seals, quite annoying tbh.

I got a couple of S8s from ebay for not a lot of money- bearings are easily available, stack is about average, sealing is good. I’ve got a Hope one in another bike and tbh I can’t tell any difference at all, the bearings and crown race are even interchangable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘budget but decent headset recommendations. …………’ is closed to new replies.