Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Budget bike scales – these any good?
  • singletracksurfer

Anyone got any experience of these scales?

http://www.uket.co.uk/index.php?searchStr=scale&act=viewCat scroll to the bottom (3).

or any others?

thanks

fivespot
    Free Member

I've got some of the silver ones. They seem to work OK. if you do buy them, bin the cheap battery's that come with them. Within weeks they had oozed acidy goo inside the unit, corroding all the contacts. Resulting in me having to find a small spring to repair the conact.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why bother? You may as well believe the manufacturers specs as they'll probably be just as accurate as cheep scales.

Kramer
    Free Member

Wot thisisnotaspoon said – there are no such thing as cheap, accurate scales.

singletracksurfer

its for weighing (bike) luggage to go on plane.

not fussed about my bikes weight – I'm a much bigger (weight) problem.

theflatboy
    Free Member

get digital bathroom scales. you get the bonus of being able to weigh yourself as and when you wish, and with some simple maths you can weigh other things (that you can lift) too. 🙂

singletracksurfer

My wife might think I'm trying to tell her something if I get bathroom scales.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Dont most people just like to know the weight of their bikes just to know and not be obsessive about it. Im sure over 90% of people that weigh there bikes arnt obsessed over it to want to spend £200 on some digi scales that are accurate down to the nearest pube!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posts) and if you want to be anal you can calibrate cheap scales with a known weight, as handily a litre of water weighs a kilo, and a plastic water bottle or 2 and a poly bag weigh next to nothing in comparison. As the OP said its useful to approximate for packing bike bags, rather than being a geek who used to weigh each component separately on calibrated lab scales. Ahem.

kimbers

right where can i get some scales?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/zebco-fishing-scales-791110?src=google

up to 50lbs, worth a punt?

nickjb
    Free Member

I bought a cheap digital scale from ebay and its been very accurate. Pretty much exactly agrees with the scales at the airport. Handy for Ryanair and Easyjet who seem to be getting less flexible with allowances

They look a bit like this:
    scales on ebay, not sure where mine came from, it was a few years ago

TheSwede
    Free Member

Don’t buy those ffs. They are incredibly inaccurate. Different readings every time with the same weight. Has to be digital or expensive mechanical IMHO.

kimbers

ok bought the cheap ebay ones

so how heavy is my stinky

any guesses?

toys19
    Free Member

38 lbs

MSP

A stinky! you will need a weighbridge for that not a set of scales.

kimbers

im wondering if i will need to weigh bits seperately as the scales only go up to 40lbs

its for this thread here which got me interested

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,234029.0.html

epicsteve
    Free Member

so how heavy is my stinky

any guesses?

Well my Enduro SX with 55r’s, a coil shock and Eskars on XT/D721’s is 36lbs so I reckon that Stinky must be at least 38lb.

TheSwede
    Free Member

scales only go up to 40lbs

Fail.Those scales will be in the bin before the week is out.

TheSwede
    Free Member

38 lbs doesn’t sound far out.

br
    Free Member

We give a lift upto the top car park at Glentress to a lad with a Stinky, I thought it was attached to something as I tried to lift it onto the rack!

41 lbs?

kimbers

and the grand total is………….. 40.5 lbs according to my 6 quid scales

which seems about right, my kona dawg is 30lbs

kimbers

my rigid lava dome with fairly cheapo components is 26.3

right what can i weigh next

ill do the bmx when i get home

and im gonna make some sort of sling so i can weigh the missus juggs 😈

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Budget bike scales – these any good?’ is closed to new replies.