Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Budget bike project – results…
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

I'd previously built up a first 'real' bike for my SO around a lovely Kinesis Maxlight frame but she wasn't a fan of the aesthetic – tubes too chunky and too many logos, apparently.

Plus I was niggled that some of the components (drivetrain, mostly) were on their way out and it didn't seem fair her having my knackered bits…

So, a plan was hatched to secretly upgrade to something more in keeping with what I think she'd want.

Results are below – what do you think?

Frame was £45 delivered – unbranded but Tange tubing, someone posted a link to them a while ago.

Chainset new from Merlin for £40, cassette was new from on-one for about £15. If I'm honest I pressed the wrong button when I ordered the pedals, I meant to got for the black ones, but for £15 I'll not complain too much.

I'm reasonably chuffed with how it's come together, might need a longer stem though?

timdrayton
    Free Member

Oh i think i saw these on ebay a guy was knocking them out in green black and white, with tange cromoly in the titlevwasnt it??

Whats it like i nearly bought one, whats it weigh?

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Yup, that was them.
    Came up as about 2.1kg (on the kitchen scales – shhhhh!), for a 16" which didn't seem too bad…

It's quite a nice paint finish – on this one at least – sort of pearlescent/with a bit of a glitter in it.

On the pics on ebay it looked like the whole of the inside of the bb shell had been painted, I asked the seller for clarification a couple of times, but didn't get a response. Turns out it had been blanked off (ish) with a bit of white card and it was that you can see in the pics.

Tyre clearance isn't huge and I've seen nicer welds, but can't grumble for the money.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Like that 🙂

slimtubing
    Free Member

now the naming ceremony; something along the lines of "wizard's sleeve" or a more conventional option?
    My entry is 'Tangetilizer"

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Well she's just starting her own businesses (!) so I had thought about getting the logos made up into stickers, but Tangetillizer isn't bad.

Is Flange Tickler lowering the bar too much?

Oooh, Tangefastic would be quite good!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Budget bike project – results…’ is closed to new replies.