Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Budget bike bag
  • Xylene
    Free Member

What is the best budget bike bag/box for airlines?

swisstony
    Free Member

A free cardboard one from a bike shop

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Wrapped completely in gaffer tape.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not sounding like a rep but over the trips my Evoc, works damm well and worth what I paid for it. If it’s a one off then look at renting.

ThePinkster

Not used one myself but saw this one on the Decathlon website yesterday and thought it looked good VFM.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d take a carboard box over the decathlon one, no protection offered at all to the bike

Xylene
    Free Member

The flight is on emirates, so a box might not be a bad idea, 30kg allowance, save 8kg on a bag.

jonba
    Free Member

Planet X one is good. Know a few who have them and I made two trips with mine last year.

Good packing is key. Only damaged bike I saw last year was in a box but it wasn’t well packed.

Pipe lagging on the frame, remove vulnerable bits, secure loose bits, space out dropouts, protect chainrings and I used some stiff cardboard for extra protection because I had it.

You can rent plastic boxes for a reasonable rate if you want to be more confident.

Tiger6791

False economy maybe?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPloIzDa6bg[/video]

warns74
    Free Member

The CRC one is meant to be quite good but if it was me I would buy an Evoc bag, use it and then sell it when you get back if it was only going to be a one off. I used mine from the UK to Oz, several internal Oz flights then back to the UK again with no issues.

I presume 30kg is your entire baggage allowance?

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Not sure how much it cost, but Biketart used to rent Evoc Bike Bags, might be worth giving them a call.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The only time I’ve ever had a bike damaged on a plane it was in a bag. Before and since I’ve stuck to cardboard bike boxes from shops- they are hard, cheap bags are not. They are cheap, expensive bags are not. Just pack it well and you’ll be fine.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d go for a good box & a roll of stretch wrap.

And that’s from someone with an Evoc bag.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Budget bike bag’ is closed to new replies.