Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Budget 4×4 ideas
  • br
    Free Member

The Freelander 2 is a lot more capable than a lot give it credit for – not too big and again, a lot more reliable than rumours suggest. It’s worth a look and a test drive.

We’ve just swapped my wife’s Freelander 1 for a new one. Seriously impressed with it, and it’s now a very nice place to be with loads of performance – compared to the old one, and feels very safe in 5hit weather.

obelix
    Free Member

Power Wagon

On a more serious note, Jimnys are a good buy. They are reliable and capable, and re the earlier post about them rotting, this is only in one are of bodywork below the rear seats. My 2003 Jimny is only stating to show this now.

A good pair of high profile winter tyres would suit it well, especially since you’re in Aberdeenshire iirc. No need for serious mud-terrain tyres unless you’re doing serious off-roading. Snow tyres are fine up here all year round, as the road surfaces are usually damp and not too hot, which reduces wear.

shredster
    Free Member

Hmm, 💡 skoda yeti 8)

PePPeR

How about a Suzuki SX4 or the Fiat Sedici, I see a hell of a lot of these when I’m working in rural Scotland.

An 07 plate 4×4 Sedici will cost about £3.5k compared to the daft £8k mentioned earlier for a similar age Panda!

zokes
    Free Member

The Freelander 2 is a lot more capable than a lot give it credit for

Oh, go on then, any excuse… 😉

Crossing a 300 km Desert track, and only bogged the once. Most others who were at the camp site seemed confused as to how we’d got there until they followed us the next morning and put some real 4x4s to shame

Goog’s Track by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

It was quite muddy by the end:

Larry by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

It wanders up hills happily enough

Larry Climbing by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

And plays on the beach:

Seven Mile Beach by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

Larry on the beach by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

And everyone at this camp site high in the Victorian alps (apart from the platypus, who didn’t seem to care) was convinced the only way we’d got the Freelander there was by helicopter!

It even rescues ‘real’ 4wds

So, long story short, it’ll be fine for muddy or snowy roads! 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Budget 4×4 ideas’ is closed to new replies.