Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Budget 29" build
  • DavidB
    Free Member

If I were to sacrifice one of my 26″ bikes how cheaply could I build a 29’r worth riding?

I would want it light as possible and tubeless, so assume I am looking at frame, forks, wheels and tyres with the rest lifted from the old bike. Could it be done with a budget of £500 and will I end up with an On-One frame?

michaellivett
    Free Member

What size are you?

I got most parts of a 19″ Canyon 29er frame and wheels + a few other bits sitting in my shed. Tempted to build them up again after no interest in an add ages ago but willing to shift it on cheaply:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/19-canyon-29er-frame-wheels-58cm-specialized-langster

12fifty
    Free Member

I got one of the £99 slot inbreds £70 project 2’s and a £9 DMR hanger tug total 1×10 build cost was about £200*

If you want light you could always try the cheapo chinese carbon 29ers?

(*if you disregard the £2400 29er hardtail donor that the OEM wheels/bars/tyres/brakes etc came from)

Pyro

With a bit of chopping and changing from other bikes (mainly drivetrain stuff), I built my Trek Marlin up for sub-£500. Ether majority of the bits came from the classifieds on here – frame, fork (Manitou Tower Pro), wheels (WTB/Formula) and brakes (SLX) for £360 total then a few bits that I didn’t already have in the soares box.

faustus

Probably an inbred, yes…

dantsw13

Are you talking the money from your old bike + £500, or £500 all in?

DavidB
    Free Member

£500 for frame/forks/wheels/tyres.

I’m a medium sized rider 5’8″ so sadly the Canyon will be too big

dantsw13

A forks/wheels deal just appeared in the classifieds for £220.

Cheezpleez

Canyon full bikes are worth a look. You’ll spend more than £500 but you can then sell the bits you don’t need.

I can also recommend an Inbred. It’s a lot better than the price would suggest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Budget 29" build’ is closed to new replies.