Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Budapest – bike shops and coffee (and maybe a bar)
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of days in Budapest for work and in the best traditions of indulging myself at the expense of work, does anyone have any recommendations? I’m staying in Pest not far from the Rákóczi tér metro

squirrelking
    Free Member

Szimpla Kert, if you cant find a decent spot in there to chill then you have no hope.(ruin bar, would be a trendy hipster wankhole if it was anywhere else)

Plenty of stuff to do, if you search there was a topic about it within the last year

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Can’t remember any places as such , but I loved that place when I visited . Fantasticiooooo! Have a good one

atlaz
    Free Member

Szimpla Kert open until 5am on Sunday. Bonus. I get in about midnight.

barney
    Free Member

There are a couple of really good coffee places on Andrassy Ut. about half way between Erzsebet Square and the Varosliget. Just before you get to the Oktogon. My info is a few years old tho. It’s also a fabulous place to take a stroll. Plus ice skating in the winter at the Varosliget by the weird fantasy castle!

Love Budapest; awesome place. Plus there is (possibly were) cheeky downhill trails in the Pest hills.

globalti
    Free Member

While you’re there make time to go to the amazing Gellert hotel and spa and have a swim in the various baths out the back. Opposite the Gellert on the other side of the river is the indoor produce market. Walk round and admire the food and buy some smoked paprika to take home then go up to the mezzanine and get lashed for a few pence on hooch from a plastic jerrycan.

gazc
    Free Member

agree on all of the above. from what i remember simple bar was class and the baths are awesome, open in an evening too for sitting out under the stars 🙂 the market is great too

gozarch
    Free Member

Another vote for Szimpla Kert. A great place to pass the time. And I’d say make sure you get a lángos from somewhere. Our go-to place was right near Arany János utca. I can taste it now: garlic butter, sour cream and cheese …

Jason
    Free Member

Another vote for Szimpla Kert, went there a couple of time when I was in Budapest last month. Also ended up in a club called Instant which I think was okay, but my memory is a bit vague from that night.

I would go to Szechenyi Baths rather than Gellert, not as opulent but more baths, saunas and steam rooms there. Also the outdoor bit of Gellert is shut in winter. Make sure you do visit one.

If you want more food than you can eat go to For Sale Pub.

I did go into a proper old fashioned bike shop, which had some really interesting stuff in, but sorry really can’t remember where it was.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Mmmmmm langos. The market is a good spot to try some local dishes and wash them down with a few palinka’s and Borsodi/ Soproni.

I love Szechenyi, if the weather is nice you can quite easily spend a day there.The Terror Museum is grim and solemn but worth it if you have a few hours to burn. The cat cafe if you like cats.

We were there for St Stephen’s day last year which was brilliant with the market next to the Danube all weekend, muchos food and drink.

For Sale pub is that the one with the notes plastered everywhere?

globalti
    Free Member

Does anybody know if the very good airport minibus transfer service still operates? Last few visits I’ve driven up from Serbia and then been dropped at the airport by my agent.

Jason
    Free Member

For Sale pub is that the one with the notes plastered everywhere?

Yes that is the one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Budapest – bike shops and coffee (and maybe a bar)’ is closed to new replies.