Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Budapest
  • catatemygoldfish
    Free Member

Thinking of booking a few days away to Budapest in December, anyone been or can recommend things to do/see whilst there?

Cheers, F

zokes
    Free Member

I was there for work a few months ago. A simply amazing and beautiful city. Liszt Square near the Oktagon has plenty of restaurants that the locals eat in – much better food and much cheaper than the touristy bits near the river.

grum
    Free Member

Hotel Gelert baths were amazing in a weird old fashioned way. If you’re with the missus though they are single sex only.

Can’t remember names but there are some amazing fancy (but not crazy expensive) Viennese style coffee/cake houses.

catatemygoldfish
    Free Member

What are prices like overall? How much are you talking for a pint of beer or a standard meal out?

kayak23

Cool, a chance to look at pictures.. :-)Go in the hot spas at night, its fantastic.
    This one is Szechenyi

Changing rooms

Go up on the Cog wheel railway.

Then go on the Childrens railway, its run by nippers…

Go see the House of Terror.
    Its chilling and very moving.

zokes
    Free Member

If touristy, can border on London prices. Most places still swanky but a bit further out are a fraction i.e. 50p a pint. For reference, on one night I ate out in Liszt square and paid less than 5 quid for a three-course meal and a carafe of wine. Next day I was late and had to eat in the square by the basilica – that cost me nearly 50 quid!

catatemygoldfish
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for all the tips and suggestions, much appreciated

bikebouy
    Free Member

Old Buda is well worth a visit, just to look around the churches.. Pest is the modern (cough) part of the city, built up in the late 40’s and through 70’s it hosts the Eastern European flavour of tenament blocks.. but that in itself is a rather beautiful thing to see.

I’d second the Gellert, if you manage to stay in it it’s spectacular and again the Baths are amazing..

But head out along the river and discover some decent and not too overpriced cafes that serve exceptional cakes and coffee.

The whole infrastructure of the place is just a joy to wander around in..

higthepig
    Free Member

Ace city, was there last year with work but managed to sneak off for a day to do the tourist bit. My hotel sold ‘cheaper’ tickets for the tourist buses that tour round the city, you could get off and get on the following bus if you wanted too. It proved a great way to see the city (Buda and Pest) on both sides of the river, audio was in numerous languages that you could select and the girl hosts on the bus had better English than I did! Buying the bus ticket also gave you a voucher for a free river boat tour, about an hour or so.
    There is plenty to see, I would recommend the bus tour, I was sceptical before but had a great time.
    A trip on the underground train is worth it, very cheap and an easy way to travel, I think the trains came from the Soviet era and is the fastest accelerating public transport I’ve been on, pulling G leaving the station!
    Same with any big city, you do have to be careful at times, one of the guys got mugged and ended up with stitches, good job he was pi%&ed as a fart and didn’t feel it.
    I’d love to go again

globalti
    Free Member

I was there on Friday marvelling at the amazing architecture and the quality of life in Budapest. It’s just a fantastic city.

Definitely go to the Gellert baths, amazing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Budapest’ is closed to new replies.