Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bucks Off Road Sportive – Thank You WDMBC
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Another great day in the Chilterns, many thanks to West Drayton MBC for putting it together. Are a properly nice bunch of people, always a good atmosphere at this event.

Tough old day on the bike, 132km route was a proper challenge, its all very well zipping along a road at 30kph but all to soon you are back in the gloop on yet another 1km mudfest climb. Proper trying-to-dry sticky toffee mud too.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Blimey, the 132km must have been hard, I did the 74km and it nearly killed me!

It was a great day though and really well organised again.

Murray

Saw a fair few people in Hyde Heath – how muddy was it in the end?

Straightliner

Again, a great day out but tougher than previous years due to some sections being a little sticky.

Thanks to WDMBC for all their efforts, once again it was really well organised and a nice ride in the sunshine.

Anyone else get the fly-by from the Lancaster bomber? Really low to the ground a couple of times and amazing to see such a piece of history still flying.

ononeorange

Wow – missed the Lanc!

We had to cut short sadly owing to ongoing Achilles problems (me), Mrs O was going though with full intent to complete the 75k. It has been horrifically muddy the last couple of weeks, but the course had dried amazingly, all things considering I thought.

Indeed, big thanks to Chris and the rest at WDMBC for organising – cheers!

benslow
    Free Member

Ace ride – again !

The second half of the 132km route was drying out nicely by the time I got there and gave me a second wind.

Some of those muddy sections at the beginning were proper energy sappers. Was thinking of bailing around the first feed station but then it improved.

Thanks WDMBC – another good one !

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yep really enjoyed that. Well organised as usual, although the signage didn’t entirely agree with the gps file on the 132km route and some of the signs were hard to see and/or dubious in direction as per last year. As mentioned above, the early muddy bits were quite slow, but things got better near the end (mostly!). Here’s my ride… http://app.strava.com/rides/8448209

disben

Did the 74km (did 104km last year) with my wife (her first time at doing that sort of distance off road). Was a well run event but agree with the arrows and directions – sometimes a couple more diverting you from where you dont need to go would be good as well… (i didnt get lost but quite a few did).
    Muddy it was, especially on some of the climbs… just to be fair (straight after the split in the course) the 74km had a very muddy steep climb.
    Anyway very good event… will be back next year!

mcboo
    Free Member

Yes very different route than last year but the principal remains the same…..get through the first 95km or so and the last 40km is much much easier, mostly open and dry trails. Evil middle section where they beast us up and down the Ridgeway, what 3 times?

benslow
    Free Member

Agreed – few more signs would have been good.

Didn’t think they were as obvious as last year, and i was looking.

pete68
    Free Member

132 was tough. As said above the climbs up to the ridgeway were killers. Nice of WDMBC to book some decent weather as well.

marting
    Free Member

Very tough on the long route; just over 9h in total (pedalhead – you must have been flying!). But otherwise well organised, especially getting away on time without huge queues like last year. Thanks Chris!

pete68
    Free Member

That is quick Pedalhead. I was quite happy with 7.30 for the long one. By far the furthest I’ve ridden this year.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers I’m fairly happy with the time considering the mud was a bit of a struggle in places on the singlespeed, and the bloody asthma attack I had on the final climb! Was quite near the front I think, perhaps top 5 or so. Of course, it’s not a race 😉

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Very long day for me, up at 0200 back home 2200…zzzzzzzzzz!. Great day out and some fantastic riding down there in the Chilterns. 132k in 7.16 for me with one flat and the sole of one of my sidi shoes came off just after the second feed station, which was nice! Missed quite a few turns along the way, came across a bunch of teenagers messing with one of the signs…

“it was loose so I was just fixing it for you”

Yes, I’m sure you were son!

Also anyone else cut up badly from holly bushes? My arms look a right mess this morning.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yup, my arms are shredded!

Kids messing with signs…that could explain a lot 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bucks Off Road Sportive – Thank You WDMBC’ is closed to new replies.