Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Bucks Off Road Sportive roll call….
  • Kryton57

C’mon then, I know some STWer’s are going next week. 🙂

What are you expecting and what bikes / distances you riding?

kerv
    Free Member

Fast dry trails for the big loop on a Whippet.

ononeorange

Signed up yesterday with Mrs O. She’s very disappointed they haven’t got the 84k distance this year and doesn’t think she’s up for 100k yet so we’re doing the 50k.

Bikes – her Juliana, me Solaris. Probably.

soobalias
    Free Member

is this WDMBC routes
    (West Drayton Mountain Bike Club?)

weeksy

Yup, i’m in. Orange Spearfish. 132km route. Debating between the Maxxis Aspens or maybe even the small CX type rubber for lower rolling resistance if it remains this dry.

I’m expecting a SDW/Ridgeway ‘esque generic bridleway/trail route. I’m also hoping to be pleasantly suprised by some techie woodland trails but not holding my breath for them. Time will tell… I’m pretty much as ready as i possibly can be physically…so we’ll see how we get on. This will be the longest 1 dayer i’ve done that’s for sure.

charliemort

mebbe

anyone done it before? Got a choice of Yeti asr 5 or rigid drop bar fargo – thinking the fargo?

ononeorange

Done it fior the last few years. Can’t help on the bikes though as not sure what they are. Something light and agile really, but rear suspension may be preferable if you don’t have a really hard rear end.

weeksy

How’s the terrain Orange ? lots of bridleways ? How much road work ?

vinnyeh

It’s pencilled in, but will decide at the weekend.
    Can’t face riding it rigid ss, so it’ll probably be 50k on the mojo hd, not fit enough for the longer distances this year. Normally a nice day out, but can be a bugger on the back if the going’s quick.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I was planning on riding the big loop but have to bail with a broken scaphoid. :/

I thoroughly enjoyed it last year, a good atmosphere, lots of cake and a pint afterwards. What’s not to like.

Have fun

ononeorange

Yes they do pretty well and keep the roads to a minimum. As you say lots of bridleways, more climbing than you’d think – they’re relatively small but do add up surprisingly.

Ground is rolling really well at long last now but there are random patches of gloop left in odd places.

Lots of roots.

Sorry to hear, Forge. Will raise a pint to you at the end. Join us next year!

Kryton57

I’m doing the long route on my Enigma Ti with big snakeskin Ralph’s and Rons on. Hopefully I won’t regret using a hard tail.

mashiehood
    Free Member

im in with my 29er flash!

gaffney
    Free Member

I’m in, assuming my ribs stop hurting after coming off at Swinley on sunday. I’ll be tackling the 50km route on my 1×10 Kona 2+2.

It’s my 1st ever mtb event, so I can’t wait 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve done the long the last 2 years on my Boardman F/S. 2011 was dry, 2012 was muddy and a lot harder. There’s not much road and 2,226m of climbing. There are also some long fast descents.

This year I may go with my Ala Carte Ti with double shorts if my final long training ride is bearable. Otherwise it’s the Flux.

Kryton57

adsh – Member

This year I may go with my Ala Carte Ti with double shorts if my final long training ride is bearable. Otherwise it’s the Flux.

Lol,great minds – I’ve been riding my HT for the last 2 weeks and am taking it on a long ride Monday for the same reason. I am not strong mentally so being comfortable is important to me. I have an ASR5 – overkill – but might stick the propedal in “2” so its overley firm but gives some movement.

Although I had decided on the hardtail until your post…

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve done the long the last 2 years on my Boardman F/S. 2011 was dry, 2012 was muddy and a lot harder. There’s not much road and 2,226m of climbing. There are also some long fast descents.

senorj

I’m 50/50.Depends on the Missus.
    Haven’t done any long rides this year, so obviously I’m looking at the long route.Ha.
    Ali Hardtail (the p7 is resting in the lakes). 🙁
    Fast rolling tyres and loads of gels ftw.
    If I do it ,I expect bluebells and stomach pain from the gels.

weeksy

Gels bad 🙁

weeksy

Well all of my riding mates have pulled out of this…

Can i really be bothered doing a 10 hour ride on my own ? Hmmmmm

br
    Free Member

I’m in, assuming my ribs stop hurting after coming off at Swinley on sunday. I’ll be tackling the 50km route on my 1×10 Kona 2+2.

It’s my 1st ever mtb event, so I can’t wait

You may regret the 1×10…

Kryton57

I would ride with someone, but I will warn you I’m heading for sub 8 hours.

My training is perfect – bike setuop tested to perfection at the weekend and just cracked my fastest road ride of the year and now am tapering to Sunday*

* I may have just jinxed myself.

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve pulled my calf and will have to decide on saturday. Maybe an entry going. Spent 12.mont :(hs training for this

senorj

I entered this morning. Long route.
    If I do it in 8 hours I’ll be rather pleased.
    Stan- Have you spent the week in an oxygen tent to get yourself used to the altitude? 🙂
    BTW , can I do it on a cx bike?

weeksy- you won’t be on your own……

adsh
    Free Member

Loads of CX bikes on it. Wonder how wet and muddy it:sgoing to be? Ron and ralph may have to come off. 🙁

oldnpastit

Really looking forward to it!

I’m doing the long route, on a 26″ steel hardtail. I missed it last year due to work but did the previous two years on a 29er SS. This year with all the recent dry weather, and my increasing age, I’m going with gears.

Just out of curiousity, what’s it like on a CX bike? I’ve got a friend who is struggling to decide between the speed of a CX and the comfort of some proper tyres (rigid single speed).

ononeorange

I think I will substitute the Solaris for my s/s given the weather.

Say hello if you pass.

gee
    Free Member

Just entered the 132km – will probably be on the ti El Mariachi. See you there! My usual N Downs loop is 95 miles and takes 8hrs, so I’m guessing as this is 82 miles it will be about 6.5hrs.

localhero94
    Free Member

I’m also now in on the long route. The bike is still in the shed covered with mud where I left it after the HONC, so barring and major mechanical problems when I dig it out it’ll be a rigid 1×10 for me.

tsd
    Free Member

As the route all but goes down my road it seemed rude not too. I’ll be the one pushing my salt n’ vinegar 456 up the longer draggy climbs.

Currently raining lightly in the Chilterns.

Kryton57

Señor j – I’ve been away all winter riding up and down hills on an Italian retreat. Currently debating whether to shave off my side burns for extra efficiency.

Adsh – you know its been sunny for several weeks? Weather looks like showers only before hand but mostly dry. It’s the 30mph wind that bothers me.

I’m putting my fingers in my ears re tyres after it took me 4 days to get mine on and sealed.

Kryton57

Currently raining lightly in the Chilterns.

😐

mcboo
    Free Member

Going to be a bit of rain between now and Sunday, think conditions will be more like 2011 (bone dry and fast) than 2012 (a soul destroying mudfest).

Nothing technical, lots of climbing, bit of road….you’ll see all kinds of bikes, I wouldnt personally want to sit on a crosser for 132km but plenty do. If you’ve got a 29er hardtail thats probably the perfect bike for this.

See you all on the start line. Chilterns locals holler on here with trail updates if you please though I think I’m going with Ralphs whatever the weather.

Kryton57

I’m thinking the wind will help the drying process….

flap_jack
    Free Member

100k here. I optimistically put semi-slicks on last weekend, and it’s hardly stopped raining since. They’re staying on (but I reserve the right to change my mind if it’s hammering down at 5am on sunday)

100mm full suss here, it’s hell on a hard tail if the clay’s set solid with hoofprints.

gaffney
    Free Member

I think I’m out, my rib is still not good 🙁 So annoyed.

adsh
    Free Member

I know it’s been dry but there’s a fair bit of rain due twixt now and then not least Saturday night 🙁

Both my bikes on rons and ralphs…………..

ace_sparky
    Free Member

I rode the 132k last year on a x-king/race king supersonic combo and whilst not ideal considering the conditions last year it was ok. This year I’ll be running the same combo but 2.2 tubeless, pretty good so far but still trying different pressures (wasn’t a good combo for the HoNC this year though!)

Hoping on riding the 132k again this year but my wife was taken into hospital yesterday afternoon so no idea yet if i’ll be going or not 😕

senorj

@kryton57 – you may also need to trim down below & reduce friction 😀

As for the bloody weather , as Kryton says ,it;’s going to be v windy ,plus there’s plenty of spring growth to dry it up.
    If the forecast showers are sustained ,I’ll let a psi out of my crossmarks. 🙂
    Still not decided on the bike – the safety net of a granny ring is beckoning……..
    Looking forward to it.

ace sparky – hope your missus is ok.

ononeorange

Best wishes to mrs ace sparky

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Bucks Off Road Sportive roll call….’ is closed to new replies.