Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bucks off road sportive – anyone done it?
  • singletracksurfer

or have a copy of previous years routes?

The promo video shows a fair bit of road and looks mostly nontechnical riding – perfect for the CX me thinks.

Thanks.

vinnyeh

I did it in 2009, 100k, though I think there was a slightly longer route, and a shorter one. A nice day out like most of these sorts of rides, not too crowded, and I was thoroughly knackered by the end. A bit more climbing than I expected, and very few cross bikes- I certainly wouldn’t want to do it on one, seemed less road than honc, and a bit rougher. YMMV, of course.

I’ve got the gpx from 2009 as well, if you want- mail’s in my profile.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good event and tougher than you might think. I found it more testing than the HONC. IIRC you get a route card and its part waymarked. They also used to set riders off in groups as oppossed to a massed start.
    Crosser? if dry its a root and rutfest…you’d know youve ridden.

singletracksurfer

vinnie – YHM

Yeah the hills are harder than many people expect, but I come from the Chilterns and know it very well and have done a few 100km rides.

I ride the CX bike on most stuff, but know that it wouldn’t be suitable on a few trails, which is why I’m pondering. The video showed someone on a CX bike and I didn’t see any gnarly stuff. 😕

aP
    Free Member

Might have a go, if so it’ll be on my cx and I’ll probably ride out from Chiswick as I need to be getting the miles in for July. It’ll be the week after the Fred Whitton so should be ok.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m local to the Chilts too and have signed up for this one. 132km this year, should be fun. Would be interested in the gps from last year too please vinneyeh (email incoming).

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I did the 121km last year, really, really enjoyed it, nice route and includes some good hills to keep things interesting. I’m booked in to do the 132km route this year. Last year I did it on a 25lb 120mm travel full sus which was v comfy and got me round in a fraction under 7hrs 30mins but I wished I’d taken my xc race hardtail to be honest. I’ll be riding the hardtail this year I think. It would be doable on a cx bike, some of the downhills might be slightly bone shaking (I’m thinking about the nice gulley downhill coming into Wendover for example) but I’m sure you’d get round, there were some rutty and rooty wooded sections along the way so they may smart a bit on a cx bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

132km like the sound of that. Hmmm on the crosser though?

aP
    Free Member

Come on OG – it’ll be fine, anyway its the CX sportive in 3 weeks.

ononeorange

Very local to it. Did the 121 in 2009 and did the 84 last year with mrs ononeorange. Doing the 84 again thogether this year. Ridden on a hardtail and I always know about it afterwards – as above, lots of roots and ruts.

Great ride, and places are limited this year.

oldgit
    Free Member

So aP you thinking about doing it on the crosser then?

I want to do it, yep deffo. The gutting thing is at it’s furthest point out I’m nearly home, but then you have to turnaround and head back to the start….cruel.

aP
    Free Member

Yarp.
    Just need to put a new tub on the back wheek after ripping it at Herne Hill on New Years Day.

nickf
    Free Member

I’d not consider doing it on a cross bike – just too bumpy. Lightweight hardtail is ideal – there’s a fair amount of climbing, and unless it’s dry, it’ll really take it out of your legs.

oldgit
    Free Member

Okay then. Though I’m still riding the ‘ice cream tourist trails’ at the moment while this lurgy still has a hold.

aP
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be fine – it can’t be any worse than riding down off Cross Fell on a cx bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m in. 132Km on the cyclocrosser.

Jase you up for it?

Jase
    Free Member

Yes but ‘only’ the 100k.

Just back from hospital and my hand is fractured – apparently 6 weeks recovery but still should have enough time to prepare.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Does anyone know how much climbing is in the 80, 100 and 132Km routes?

foxyrider
    Free Member
    johnny

Last year was following a very dry period, and despite some rain on the day it was smooth going, so it was defintely doable on a CX bike, which was my thought at the time. I can think of probably two short points I might have dismounted due to roots/ obstacles.

I did the 121 on a steel hardtail comfortably though. I guess it depends on your fitness regarding the climbing/suitable gearing, as well as the state of the terrain.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Planning to do it on a Carbon rear ended Alu HT – Have done 176Km road sportives (3200m climbing) and 70Km off roaders with (2000m of technical climbing) – so the 100km I think is cert dooable – the 123 seems not to add a lot more climbing just distance 🙂

was going to use some of these for training for Transwales 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bucks off road sportive – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.