• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by marc.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bucking the trend … 26in tyre recommendations
  • hardtailonly

So, somewhat against the grain, I’m building up 2 26in wheel MTB’s, a FS Cannondale Prophet, and an On One Inbred SS with rigid fork.

Having had a 650b HT for the last 4 years as my only MTB, I’m a bit out of touch with what are good 26″ tyres … So what would you recommend.

The On One is getting built first, so looking for big volume (2.3/2.4) front tyre, general all round year use with a slight emphasis on winter mud conditions (but not a mud specific tyre) with a faster rolling rear (prob 2.2/2.25). Happy with something like an ardent on the rear. Budget as close to £50 max for the pair.

Prophet will be used less regularly and will not really be a winter bike, so something tubeless ready, bigish volume and again, all round year use.

jamesoz

As much as it pains me, the Chunky monkey and Smorgasbord combo works very well.

In fact your specifications sound suspiciously like that’s the answer you want.

hardtailonly

I think you might be right … 😕

I’ve had a Chunky Monkey in 650b flavour on the front … and was just a bit underwhelmed …

But seems like options in 26″ flavour are becoming rather limited …

iffoverload
    Free Member

Magic Mary out front, Specialized Butcher and Slalughter are good combo too

jamesoz

I personally think the 26” version is better than the 650b. For the money I like them.
    (The On One tyres)

dmorts

I have a 100% crash rate with a Chunky Monkey on the front…. I like the Smorgasbord though, don’t think you can go wrong with them

The CM crashes were to do with me expecting side/edge grip that just wasn’t there. It did look quite rounded in profile. Rim was a Stans Flow (not Ex), perhaps not wide enough?

roverpig

But seems like options in 26″ flavour are becoming rather limited ..

I keep hearing this, but a quick check on CRC for tyres that are in stock shows 26″ (115) 27.5″ (109) 29″ (91).

Anyway, getting back to the question: Magic Mary (trailstar) on the front and either Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic on the rear.

hardtailonly

What’s the Specialized Purgatory like?

Never had Spec tyres so not really in tune with what’s good and the type of tyre for the terrain.

jamesoz

It’s ok as a rear. Quite like the clutch on softer stuff.

hardtailonly

Maxxis Aggressor/Ardent/HR2?

Thoughts? …

peteimpreza

Butcher and Slaughter combination in the Grid flavour working for me.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I second the Mary/Nic combo

Though my Mary is actually a Muddy in Vertstar and the Nic is a Performance. Not ideal maybe but it’s what I had to hand.

Another bike has an identical Mary up front with a Baron 2.3 non-chili on the back. I think the Baron may beat the Nic but both need more riding to figure it out. However both corner better on our thin, greasy mud than the 60a High Rollers both bikes had out back up until last week.

twonks

I went to Magic Mary 2.35 up front and Hans Dampf 2.25 on the rear of my 26″ FS but found the MM almost too much tyre unless it was very wet and soft under wheel.

The HD ws also a little too wide for the chainstays so in the end settled for newest version of Nobby Nics front and back. Seem to be great so far.

Have also had a few others including most of the well reviewed tyres, just never tried Schwalbe before so gave them a go.

Best value for money was propbably Specialized Purgatory in control casing, although they weep a bit through the sidewall.

Best for out and out grip was Continental Trail King black chilli racesport, but they leaked like crazy through the sidewall.

Never had a problem with any tyre getting ripped or damaged by the trail, despite reviews of ‘thin sidewalls’ etc, but as above not all are suitable for tubeless if you are going that way.
    All tubeless.

poah
    Free Member

But seems like options in 26″ flavour are becoming rather limited

some newer tyres are not made in 26 but other than that you can’t be looking very hard. Maxxis are bringing out a 26×2.5 WT DHF in January and conti are releasing a 26×2.6 projekt baron.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Same tyres on my 26s as my 650b. Minion DHF front, Ardent or HR2 rear.

Stock is low though and might be limited in the compound options. There will always be something to fit, just not necessarily what I want.

Mugboo

Ask around, lots of folks have a garage full.

Magic Mary’s are £33 on CRC at the mo I keep meaning to buy one to go with the new HR in my shed.

Del

Chunky monkey kept threatening to put me on the deck until it put me on the deck when used on the front. Works well on the rear for me. Hans dampf up front, trailstar. Local riding is loam over flint though, so needs to be grippy and tough on the back on the hardtail. I’ll be getting a smorgasbord for the rear on the bike that doesn’t have much clearance.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Magic Mary’s are £33 on CRC at the mo

The only one they have in stock for £33 is in Vertstar compound which is soft like marshmallow. If you regularly ride on anything abrasive be prepared for them to melt away in front your very eyes. Actually that’s not fair but they wear far quicker than the old Super Tacky Maxxis’. They do grip very well, though I’d like to try one in Trailstar.

dirkpitt74

I’ve got the Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord combo on my 26″ Mega – both the dual compound. Seem to work well in most conditions.

Building another 26’er and thinking Mary/Nic combo would be good to try.

Problem with Schwalbe seems to be the myriad of compounds.

Which ones should I be looking at – Trail Star/Pace Star etc.?

marc
    Free Member

Just switched to Minion DHF & DHR ii on my 26″, replaced High Rollers.

Liking them so far.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bucking the trend … 26in tyre recommendations’ is closed to new replies.