Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bucket list of peak district descents
  • opusone
    Free Member

Having lived within 20 miles of the peak district for virtually my entire life, I’m about to emigrate and feel the need to ensure that I’ve ridden everything worth riding in the peak. The descents I’ve got checked off are:

Cut gate
    Jacob’s ladder
    The beast
    The three descents from hollin’s cross
    Gore’s DH / screaming mile
    Potato alley
    Hope brink
    Hagg farm
    Derwent edge / moscar
    Stanage plantation bridleway
    All the blacka moor descents
    Jumble road / the rest of houndkirk
    Roych clough
    Rushup edge.

Still to do (that I know about)

Cave dale…
    er that’s it.

Is there anything else I should know about?

jekkyl

Charity lane & Cumberland Clough. at Macc forest.
    The drops at Hollinsclough.

Including the White peak? in which case also …
    Coombs dale.
    Bakewell golf course descent
    and others I can’t remember right now, others will fill in the blanks I’m sure.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bradwell Clough (BW from Brough lane down to Bradwell)
    May as well do pindale if you’re in the area doing that and Cave dale

Presume you’ve done Jacobs Ladder both directions?

Chapel Gate probably isn’t worth while any more.

Stanage Roman Road just to tick it off even if it has been sanitized.

Bamford clough (not techy, just ridiculously fast if you’re brave).

munrobiker
    Free Member

The descent behind the Ladybower Inn that you can see from the road is one of my favourites- all the way from the footpath on Derwent Edge and straight over at Whinston Lee Tor. I know is as the Telegraph Trail, it’s on Strava as Les Arcs. Not a bridleway but it’s too steep for walkers and loads of fun.

jekkyl

What’s the long bridleway descent at the top of the Linacre Classic in the white peak book? It’s a cracker! Anyway do The Linacre classic & the 5 dales route and this one out of Bakewell, which I uploaded yesterday, it’s a belter.
    http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Routes/19505

hora
    Free Member

So now we are openly advertising contentious trails to gain merit points/kudos from strangers on the internet?

oldejeans
    Free Member

must get lonely up there on that horse

opusone
    Free Member

The descent behind the Ladybower Inn that you can see from the road is one of my favourites- all the way from the footpath on Derwent Edge and straight over at Whinston Lee Tor. I know is as the Telegraph Trail, it’s on Strava as Les Arcs. Not a bridleway but it’s too steep for walkers and loads of fun.

I’m sure I don’t know what you mean or happen to have seen that particularly naughty on a strava heatmap, and if I did know what you meant I certainly wouldn’t have a plan to go up there at some unsociable hour – say 4am on a Tuesday – and enjoy myself all over it.

jekkyl

it takes a few minutes to type out a reply on a thread and it takes even less time to say thanks.

Pook

hora – Member
    So now we are openly advertising contentious trails to gain merit points/kudos from strangers on the internet?

No.

Garry_Lager

Peak’s a big area – you’ve prob got the same again as that list up the top end. Few BWs, though, so a lot of the better descents are on FPs. No one’s arsed, though – it’s not like Edale.
    If departure is imminent then there’s not time enough to know them all, but defo get up around Alphin, saddleworth, Marsden etc. for at least a ride or two.

Pook

Macc Forest!

Charity Lane
    Bottom o the oven
    Cumberland Clough

opusone
    Free Member

Can someone suggest a longish Macc forest ride that takes in all of the good stuff? I’ve never been but would be keen to see if I can do the lot in one ride.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hora- no trail is contentious. They’re just strips of dirt. Some people are just grumpy.

scaled
    Free Member
    M6TTF
    Free Member

opusone – you can link up the standard forest loop with plenty, depends on your legs. heading into the goyt, or out into three shires.

chrismanc
    Free Member

Broad cough
    Middle moor/shooting cabins as above
    Campsite descent into hayfield

hora
    Free Member

On my horse? The cheeky trails only exist for me 8)

Chatting to a lady in Hebden today and she told me about a cheeky that sounds divine.

She started off telling me about some irresponsible riders who didnt slow or give way and how it has drops and is very techy then she added ‘you’d like it’ and here’s where it is as you are tobviously the more considerate type! 🙂

AlexSimon

opusone – Member

Can someone suggest a longish Macc forest ride that takes in all of the good stuff? I’ve never been but would be keen to see if I can do the lot in one ride. It depends if you want to do all the downhillers trails in the forest, or if you mean the more traditional stuff around like Charity, Cumberland Clough, 3 Shires, Goyt, etc.
    The natural stuff isn’t very easy to describe.

opusone
    Free Member

It depends if you want to do all the downhillers trails in the forest, or if you mean the more traditional stuff around like Charity, Cumberland Clough, 3 Shires, Goyt, etc.
    The natural stuff isn’t very easy to describe.

Maybe just the “traditional stuff” then if I get the chance then I’ll head back and see if I can do some DH stuff too. Doable in a single ride? I’m not averse to a hilly 40 miler.

carlos
    Free Member

Opusone –

Can someone suggest a longish Macc forest ride that takes in all of the good stuff? I’ve never been but would be keen to see if I can do the lot in one ride.

Classic loop – http://singletrackworld.com/2012/10/singletrack-issue-77-extras-macclesfield-forest-route-guide/

but loads and loads of other stuff in and around the Forest, Goyyt, 3 Shires, Gradbach, Hollinsclough

M6TTF
    Free Member

yes, all doable in a hilly 40 miler.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP can’t believe you’ve never done Cave Dale, you should do that a few times 🙂

yorkycsl
    Free Member

OP
    Good luck on the emigration & that where ever your going has good trails, and the walkers be few & no where near as grumpy, Christ they are the worst I’ve ever met in the peaks.

opusone
    Free Member

Good luck on the emigration & that where ever your going has good trails, and the walkers be few & no where near as grumpy, Christ they are the worst I’ve ever met in the peaks.

Scotland. I should be ok.

opusone
    Free Member

Goyyt, 3 Shires, Gradbach, Hollinsclough

Looks like you could do a decent loop starting out at Buxton to take these in – that about right?

AlexSimon

Yep – you could start at Buxton, Macclesfield, or anywhere on the loop.

Normally for me, Hollinsclough would be a step too far – i.e. it tips is from being a 20-30mile most of a day to 30-40mile all day. It’s also easy to get lost on the lanes (or is that just me).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bucket list of peak district descents’ is closed to new replies.