• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BTW Scheme… What would you buy?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

As per title really,

Strugging to justify another bike, but, well, if its there, I’ll take it..

Work apparently are keen to see people doing it, so what would you go for?

Ive already got the CX/Road/HT/SS/Fatbike etc…

druidh
    Free Member

Nothing. It’s still going to cost me money and it would be for something I don’t need. I’ve passed up on similar offers in the past. If cash is burning a whole in your pocket, set up a DD to your favourite charity.

TiRed

find a shop that allows you to spend the money on parts. Or upgrade one that you have already.

Otherwise a winter road bike.

pudd
    Free Member

What a silly question/thread.

Buy stuff, don’t buy stuff!?!

Why do you need peer based approval for such an elementary decision?

Send the money to an arse on Nigeria under the premise of a lottery win!

pudd
    Free Member

In fact it just sounds like you’re bragging.
    What are you compensating for shrimpy?

tonyd

find a shop that allows you to spend the money on parts.

This. A few years ago I treated myself to a Garmin 705 and a new lid.

Otherwise don’t buy anything, it’s cheaper!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Crikey Pudd, me thinks you protest too much…

Mrs Pudd put in a complaint about Puddjnr™ or something..

Sorry for asking a harmless question.

Why do you need peer based approval for such an elementary decision?

Struggling to see where I asked for approval?

Sheesh. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The friendly bike shop route would be my choice

mrlugz
    Free Member

If the scheme is anything like our current scheme, nothing.

The final payment you have to make to transfer ownership wipes out pretty much all the savings you make over the course of the year.

Our scheme has a final payment of 25% of the purchase cost if the initial purchase cost is over £500.

Im better off buying online. YMMV

labsey
    Free Member

Buy a dog instead.

cookeaa

If the scheme is anything like our current scheme, nothing.

The final payment you have to make to transfer ownership wipes out pretty much all the savings you make over the course of the year.

Our scheme has a final payment of 25% of the purchase cost if the initial purchase cost is over £500.

Im better off buying online. YMMV

+1

But ignoring the Scheme issues if I was in the market for a new bike up to £1K in value right now?

It would probably be a durable winter commuter; Drop bar road SS type bike, not a fixie, maybe something CX ish, but it’s gotta go through the winter without any fuss or bother….

Oh and mud guards/Decent jacket too, in fact I’d limit the bike to ~£700 and set aside £300 for accessories/kit…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check out if you can switch to the extended scheme where the final payment is smaller. Still makes a good way to get interest free on £1k and save something.

Though anybody using the scheme is a TAX DODGER and should be strung up.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My first agreement is coming to an end (3 years), I don’t know what the final payment will be yet. I’m hoping I’ll just have to pay tax on £120 (12%). My current bike is an Orbea iggore CX bike, I already have my next bike on test (Whyte Saxon Cross).

I_Ache
    Free Member

I personally would go for a 29er, probably an On One but would check to see if somebody could put together a Solaris for under £1k. I would love a Solaris, I feel I am becoming a bit of a Cotic fanboi.

Drac

Carbo 29″ Hard Tail as mentioned worth look at Planet-x.

The scheme still is worth it, mine ran out last year and the 25% final payment thing doesn’t quiet work like that. I had to describe what the damage was and what parts were needed. They gave me a value and it was based around that. Remarkably it was worth next to nothing so the final payment was too.

Euro
    Free Member

The 25% final payment only applies after the first year if you want to own the bike outright, right then. Most (including me) will opt for the 3 year extension (for a small fee) in which you don’t pay any money. Then after 3 years you buy the bike for a much lesser value – 3-7% IIRC depending on the original price.

The scheme makes sense if you plan on keeping the bike. Not so much if you’re a serial bike swapper. I got a 456 SS on the C2W scheme and i’ll be saving approx £250 in total including all fees and payments after the 4 years. Not the biggest bargain ever, but it pleases me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bought a drop bar alfine road rat on mine this year

Mines was over 5 years wi a clause in contract that if i leave the company then my total payable will total no more than e outstanding monthly payments.

Total cost 590 quid

Drac

Yup Euro that’s how it works, roughly a £1k bike cost about £650-£700 now you can save for to get £700 but unless it’s a sale item you won’t get one for £700 that’s worth £1k.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BTW Scheme… What would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.