• This topic has 51 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • BTP car cuts up cyclist
  • northernmatt

Apologies if this has been done

[video]http://youtu.be/DS3mCeFXs0c[/video]

tomhoward

Not sure theres any real safety issue there?

nedrapier

Doesn’t look too bad to me.

teasel
    Free Member

Agree it’s not too close (I’ve recently been buzzed by two of ’em a lot closer) but you can bet your arse that if they were behind a driver pulling the same maneuver they more than likely would’ve given them a tug, at the very least to give them a bollocking.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not the best road craft by either party

matt_outandabout

This.

However, one is a public servant charged with upholding laws and standards. And one is a chap on a bike.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Eh? How’s the cyclist in the wrong at all? He’s clearly over to the right so be can get in the correct lane and not get punted down to the left. Police car is clearly an impatient cretin already moving forward before the lights even turned.

MoreCashThanDash

If that was the worst that happened in a month of commuting, I’d be pretty chuffed.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If that was the worst that happened in a month of commuting, I’d be pretty chuffed.

So as long as the police behave better than the worst road users, crack on?

MoreCashThanDash

Maybe someone had had a really bad day, and made an error of judgement that proved to actually be quite safe, if unwise.

Sometimes the height of the horse affects perception? 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

That is smack outside my work . It is a lousy junction for cretins particularly when one comes in from the right on that camera angle.
    The cyclist appears to be in the correct position and does nothing wrong.

northernmatt

It’s not the worst I’ve seen but thought I’d pop it up I on here after it appeared on Facebook. From the looks of it that middle lane can go either way at the split ahead which is why the cyclist was across to the right of the lane. If it was me driving I’d have waited behind the cyclist to see what he was doing before going round him.

For me it’s all about setting an example and the person driving that car doesn’t set a very good one at all.

carlosg
    Free Member

I can tell you exactly what’s happening there , if you don’t gun the engine from that junction you usually hit a red light about 400 yards from where the video starts. However it seems nowadays everybody in the centre of Leeds drives like this(also why I only ride mountain cycles off road now)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Where should the bike be then to get to the left of the lane he wants?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Cyclist holds his line, driver goes around without forcing anyone else to change direction or speed.

andyl
    Free Member

I actually think that was pretty p-poor of the police there.

Looked like he was edging into the box before the green

Then he under takes

Then he cuts cross chevrons

Cyclist would have been better off sitting over to the left but still no excuse to drive like that. Someone positioned badly in front of you does not give you the excuse to drive poorly too.

edit: looking again I’m not sure the cyclist was that out of position. That middle lane seems to have the option to take lane 2 or 3 at the split. Cyclist knew he wanted lane 3 and doesnt really cut much over to the left after the car passes.

Pretty sure you would fail your driving test for doing that.

crankboy
    Free Member

Except you don’t hit a red light unless you gun it, watch the video on to the end even the cyclist gets to that light on green .

carlosg
    Free Member

yeah hence why my post says USUALLY

muppet4
    Free Member

Not the best but a possibility is that he was just starting a response run and his lights had failed – wanted to nip round. He /she didn’t put the bike in danger though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Eh? How’s the cyclist in the wrong at all? He’s clearly over to the right so be can get in the correct lane and not get punted down to the left

Cyclist would have been better positioned in the middle of the central lane. Instead of positioning himself to the right then cutting across to the left. From his original road position I would have assumed he would be going into the right hand lane. Doesn’t excuse the police driver for their crap driving.

thegreatape
    Free Member

BTP you say…bet the real police wouldn’t have done that.

edlong
    Free Member

I know that junction well, and that’s pretty much where I’d position myself on a bike if I was going that way. I wouldn’t be delighted at a driver doing that either, but as some have said, if that was the worst driving I had to contend with on a commute, I’d be delighted.

Pretty poor for a police officer though, even the BTP.

iffoverload
    Free Member

total dick move by the car. end of.

nealglover
    Free Member

…but you can bet your arse that if they were behind a driver pulling the same maneuver they more than likely would’ve given them a tug, at the very least to give them a bollocking.

Not unless that driver was driving a train they wouldn’t.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I know that junction and tend to sit in the middle of the lane to avoid that sort of move. Have seen much worse than that one though!

teasel
    Free Member

Not unless that driver was driving a train they wouldn’t.

Heh. I see where I went wrong there…

🙂

aP
    Free Member

The BTP doesn’t cut the cyclist up, (he) does anticipate the lights and “drive enthusiastically”. Just ask yourself, “what would surfmat do?”, after all most of you IT guys drive Audis, willy wave about how fast you drive on country roads and need 400+hp to drive to the shop formerly owned by Dame Shirley Porter.
    What I’d be much more annoyed about is how awful those roads appear to be, and how they appear to have no facility for vulnerable road users.

Drac

Undertakes and then nips in front again on chevrons, the guy is an idiot.

aP
    Free Member

Pfffff….. He gets out of the way, he doesn’t cover himself in glory. As a public servant he should be seen to be driving correctly, but 80/20 rule?
    Come and ride with me on my commute, if that was the worst thing that happened I wouldn’t even bother to mention it to anyone.

martinhutch

I’ve seen a lot worse. Shit junction for cycling, though.

soulwood
    Free Member

First let’s stop with the “public servant” crap, BTP are employed by the rail companies and as such are not working for the crown. Secondly if this was a private car this wouldn’t have been posted, and thirdly, a good measure of whether somebodies driving or cycling was poor is how much disruption it causes to other road users. The cyclist isn’t affected at all by this action. Get over yourselves.

travo
    Free Member

Here we go again, another roadie trying his best to start a car bashing thread on a mountain bike forum.
    Nobody got hurt or even slightly put out, no laws were broken, leave it alone or save it for the roadie forums so we don’t have to get f**ked off with all the up their own arse roadie crap.

MoreCashThanDash

Bad journey in this morning travo? 😯

ransos
    Free Member

Here we go again, another roadie trying his best to start a car bashing thread on a mountain bike forum.
    Nobody got hurt or even slightly put out, no laws were broken, leave it alone or save it for the roadie forums so we don’t have to get f**ked off with all the up their own arse roadie crap.

The thread title made it obvious that this is about a road incident. If you’re not interested, don’t read it.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

The cyclist was exactly where I would be in that situation.

The car shouldn’t be undertaking, policeman or not, he shouldn’t be impatient and undertaking. A cyclist is supposed to be OVERtaken as if its a small vehicle and you wouldn’t undertake a small car that way so its not right to undertake a bike that way. Numpty. Personally I would send the video to his boss.

somouk
    Free Member

The bike looked to be in a poor position initially and moving over to the right when the lights changed. Looks as though the cop thought he could nip up the inside as the cyclist was moving to the right only to be surprised when the cyclist moved to the left so he had to boot it and pull in.

Poor positioning by the cyclist, should have taken primary in the middle of the lane. Poor planning by the BTP guy, should have just waited.

Drac

Nobody got hurt or even slightly put out, no laws were broken,

So it only counts if you get hurt or killed? Are you sure about the no laws being broken?

somouk
    Free Member

Are you sure about the no laws being broken?

Which laws do you think were broken?

llama

Bike could have been a bit to the left, it’s not that clear what he is doing.

Car drove like a dick, and should have waited, but did at least give space, and I’ve seen much worse.

Looks like a crap junction layout for cycling, I’d avoid it if at all possible.

Drac

Which laws do you think were broken?

Undertaking and then cutting on chevrons.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘BTP car cuts up cyclist’ is closed to new replies.