• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • btcc driver jailed for killing cyclist
  • chris_jh
    endurogangster
    Free Member

Better than getting away scot free like most drivers who kill cyclists!

bencooper
    Free Member

I think they only wear helmets when they’re actually in a car race?

Oh wait, you were talking about the cyclist…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

All that money and couldn’t afford a Bluetooth headset. 🙄

aP
    Free Member

What difference does helmet wearing make?

Nick

Not sure the Guffington Post is any better than the Daily Wail, but at least it isn’t the Daily Wail.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/07/frankt-wrathall-jail_n_4745705.html

scotroutes

If he’d been a Glaswegian killing another car driver he’d have got twice that term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-26081776

So (making reference to another thread) 2 cyclists = 1 driver?

poly
    Free Member

If he’d been a Glaswegian killing another car driver he’d have got twice that term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-26081776

So (making reference to another thread) 2 cyclists = 1 driver?

Except the Glaswegian was guilty of DANGEROUS and the BTCC Driver only of CARELESS, and the Glaswegian had previously been convicted of drink driving (and since only a few months before – was presumably disqualified at the time?). Not unreasonable that sentences are different in different circumstances; in general you need to be careful comparing north/south of the border too as there are subtle differences.

scotroutes

So : driving one-handed, towing a trailer and chatting to your gf on the phone for 8 minutes isn’t dangerous, only careless?

Edit- sorry, that’s not a pop at you. I know you are just reporting the facts

spooky_b329

No Daily Mail

I’m sorry but we don’t allow direct links to the Daily Mail on our website as we find it an abhorrent publication.

For an explanation of why this is we can’t think of a better illustration than Stephen Fry’s personal account of his dealings with this publication here. We would encourage you to read this before continuing on to the Daily Mail website.

If you still want to visit the Daily Mail website your can use this link:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2553969/Championship-racing-driver-jailed-crashing-killing-cyclist-phone-girlfriend.html

The above link has a nofollow attribute applied.

Is that new?!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

No

poly
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    So : driving one-handed, towing a trailer and chatting to your gf on the phone for 8 minutes isn’t dangerous, only careless?

Edit- sorry, that’s not a pop at you. I know you are just reporting the facts
    It is not uncommon for a defence lawyer to “negotiate” a careless charge out of a dangerous one (whether death is involved or not). Its quite difficult to prove dangerous, and trying ties up huge resources and risks that you fail to get a conviction at all (Juries are unpredictable, witnesses can not appear or bugger up their evidence, defence solicitors can spin the ‘this was just a tragic accident – it could happen to you’ card, evidence may not be admissible on the day due to technicalities etc), so the prosecution can sometimes be convinced to take the lesser charge.

Without witnesses describing the manner of driving as being obviously dangerous* (as there were in the Glasgow case) I can see why CPS would not risk it. * i.e. if you couldn’t see the driver was on his phone would his standard of driving have been remarkable?

However the judge can only sentence on the offence with the guilty – not on what could have been.

hora
    Free Member

My sis in laws best friend was murdered. The Daily Mail doorstepped and banged on her door for days for a comment then ran a made up story.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘btcc driver jailed for killing cyclist’ is closed to new replies.