Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • BT ,we want out.
  • zippykona

We are one year into a 2 year contract. Used to have a phone and an internet account.
    They said we should change it to a One Bill account to combine them both.
    So they cancelled our standing orders and didn’t set up a new one.
    Then the threatening letters come saying they will take action over non payment. Spent god knows how many hours telling them about our One Account. Each time they would say its sorted then the letters would start again.
    Anyway just before Christmas (2days after they took payment) they cut us off.
    This line is the one we use for our credit card machine. So we lost sales at our busiest time of year and I had to spend a morning trying to make them put it back on.
    Do you think we have grounds to cancel our contract? Surely BT not providing a service we have paid for means they have not kept their part of the deal.

Harry_the_Spider

Can’t help with an answer but from my own bitter experience they are a shower of utter ####s.

Good luck!

andyl
    Free Member

I would say so. Probably best to get some proper legal/contract advice though.

MrNice
    Free Member

search on here for a thread by rogerthecat. I don’t know if he got it fixed but I recall he made a lot of noise on twitter and/or contacted CEO direct which prompted bt to eventually do something.

bearnecessities

I have done the CEO thing before, when it was Ian Livingston.

The ‘team’ that dealt with it within his office were fantastic.

The CEO has changed now, it’s Gavin Patterson.

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com

Rogerthecat’s thread is here, but use the above email address, it’ll get sorted 😉

letmetalktomark

You have my sympathies.

We had a not dissimilar problem a few years back.

I called Ofcom and explained from the start the issue we were having. They then took me through the BT complaints procedure and advised us to use certain terminology.

The result was after a battle lasting several weeks the issue was resolved about 36hrs after speaking with Ofcom.

They would be my next port of call (pun intended. 😉 )

Hope this helps >>> http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/

marthall
    Free Member

The individual staff of BT have always been friendly courteous and helpful. They are however usually powerless and the company itself is the most autocratic shambles of shite I’ve ever had to deal with.

I’ve got half dozen BT stories, including bailiffs and disconnections… My advice is two-fold;

a) Do everything in writing, by post, recorded delivery. It’s the only way to guarantee action

b) Walk away.

RustySpanner

We’re with TalkTalk.
    I didn’t think there could be a worse company.

We’re thinking of changing to BT (mostly for the free MotoGP coverage on BT Sport).

ourmaninthenorth

1. Go the CEO route
    2. Calculate your lost business as a result of the disconnection – tell them you’ll be seeking to recover that.

(Rusty – mail me and I’ll see if I can help)

neninja
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem a few years ago when I moved business premises.

They combined the new lines on a One Bill account but didn’t seem to know themselves that they’d done it and got more and more threatening demanding payment for lines that were already being paid for. Took ages to sort it out.

sbob
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – Member

You have my sympathies.

We had a not dissimilar problem a few years back.

I called Ofcom and explained from the start the issue we were having. They then took me through the BT complaints procedure and advised us to use certain terminology.

The result was after a battle lasting several weeks the issue was resolved about 36hrs after speaking with Ofcom.

They would be my next port of call (pun intended. )

Hope this helps >>> http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/

OFCOM were very helpful when BT started sending bailiffs around to my friend’s house for an unpaid bill.
    BT wouldn’t send him the bill, so he couldn’t pay it. 🙄

matt_outandabout

Yep, we had BT take a month to connect the national charity that owns our office when we moved. The BT (fibre) line was in, the office cabling was in (and had been connected), but supposedly the BT chaps had cut off the old cable (quite literally) on the previous owners. It took a MONTH and numerous visits from BT / Openreach / gimp chaps who kept looking at it and sucking breath…then they connected it and promtly told us that the office / server room wiring was duff hence lack of connection…It took the charity to pay an independent consultant to come in, test it all and announce it was BT upstream end that was the issue…it was switched back on that day.
    For the whole month, all the charity staff (50+ and our organisation of 10+) were all on ‘3’ 3G dongles to be able to work…
    Then BT sent them the bill for the month they had not been connected…
    BT could not organise a connection in an office, let alone an evening in a brewery.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, we had BT take a month to connect the national charity that owns our office when we moved. The BT (fibre) line was in, the office cabling was in (and had been connected), but supposedly the BT chaps had cut off the old cable (quite literally) on the previous owners. It took a MONTH and numerous visits from BT / Openreach / gimp chaps who kept looking at it and sucking breath…then they connected it and promtly told us that the office / server room wiring was duff hence lack of connection…It took the charity to pay an independent consultant to come in, test it all and announce it was BT upstream end that was the issue…it was switched back on that day.
    For the whole month, all the charity staff (50+ and our organisation of 10+) were all on ‘3’ 3G dongles to be able to work…
    Then BT sent them the bill for the month they had not been connected…
    BT could not organise a connection in an office, let alone an evening in a brewery.

Had almost exactly the same in my house. They’d disconnected at the top of the pole when a previous owner moved out, and apparently H&S now means they can’t just climb back up. Which meant they needed a cherry picker, which wouldn’t fit, so they needed scaffolding, which they wanted me to pay for, this is still their infrastructure which they’d sabotaged, the cable going into the house was fine!

Told them to stuff themselves and refund me the ‘connection fee’ I’d paid upfront. 3 dongle was adequately fast and less than BT broadband anyway (especially as there’s no ‘line rental’ ontop of the broadband).

Drac

If it helps I twittered about BTInfinity showing live at my house on their checker but not being able to order. I got a response as a DM within minutes and they responded to each query very quickly too, after a about 2 or 3 replies they rang me to discuss it. Also told me just to get in touch the same way in future.

So a tweet might be worth a try as they appear to have teams monitoring it.

bearnecessities

So a tweet might be worth a try as they appear to have teams monitoring it

You’re quite right. A speaker at some event recently was from BT, talking in some detail about their monitoring of twitter. She was stark raving bonkers mind you; good speaker though!

Cougar

the thing about a legally binding contract is, it’s a legally binding contract.

However, I’d hazard that in not providing you with a service you’re paying for, they are in breach of contact which should empower you to tell them to roll it tightly and grease it lightly.

I’d hazard you’ve buckley’s of recovering any lost revenue though, unless there’s specific terms in the contract which cover this; it’s not BT’s fault you’re using it as a credit card line, assuming it’s a regular domestic contract then as far as they know it’s “just” a phone line and “just” an ADSL line. If it was mission critical and the loss of it is going to cost you money, then you should either have a connection with an SLA which reflects that and insures you accordingly, or have two of them.

I Am Not A Lawyer.

soops
    Free Member

I was with the post office for 7years and they are a real shower of s@-t! We moved to BT and have had no problems, plus the broadband is 0.8mb faster than the post office and we live further away from the exchange.

They are all as bad as each other!

Cougar

They are all as bad as each other!

Most of them are still BT, that’s why. A Post Office connection from over seven years ago is almost certainly BT Wholesale resold, all that changes is who you give money to. The increase in speed was probably from replacing a seven year old router.

Drac

Mine jumped up from 8mb to 14mb I tried different routers before hopping to BT so wasn’t that.

takisawa2

Not quite the same, but many years ago someone high up from NTL spotted my tail of woe on cableforums & contacted me directly.
    Next day I had two of their best engineers & an area manager camped out at my house at 8am, & they were told they couldn’t leave until the CS director had spoken to me personally & I was happy.
    Got many months free line rental too.

I’d always thought this type of thing was an urban legend but sometimes I guess it actually happens. 😕

I hope you get it sorted zippykona, as from your posts on here you sound like a really top chap.

Cougar

Mine jumped up from 8mb to 14mb I tried different routers before hopping to BT so wasn’t that.

I may of course be talking bobbins (-: Who knows what else also changed on the new contract, but chances are you went from BT to BT.

woody21
    Free Member

Is there a website that lists CEO for companies and their contact details?

winston_dog
    Free Member
    TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Presumably you are paying the tariff for business lines, if so you could try claiming for actual financial loss

woody21
    Free Member

I found it thanks,

Davesport

We’re with TalkTalk.
    I didn’t think there could be a worse company.

We’re thinking of changing to BT (mostly for the free MotoGP coverage on BT Sport).

I’m in the process of leaving TT to go with BT. The BB speed was my issue. The call centre & staff have been excellent. The TT system is crippled by lack of capacity in the local exchange. They’re unable/unwilling to change things.

I’d give due consideration to which ISP you move to.

D.

zippykona

Bt are putting fibre optic in our area at the end of March.
    I believe plus net use bt lines so will probably go with them once the line is in.
    To be honest BT are fine at the moment as we don’t need to use much internet. It’s just that they’ve **** me off and I’m too stubborn to just get over it.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Plusnet are actually part of the BT Group.

dan1980
    Free Member

But they’re customer support team aren’t the shower of shite that BT’s are.

Which counts for something….

zippykona

They’ve **** cut us off again. No credit card line.
    Tried to close account but they won’t waive closure charge.
    It’s now going to get messy.
    PLEASE DON’T USE BT.

bonchance
    Free Member

So they cancelled our standing orders and didn’t set up a new one.

Is above right? It might be down to you to do that..

I guess you might be in continued arrears then and cut off, but still under contract – hope you get it sorted out..

zippykona

We have countless letters saying it’s their problem and it’s now all sorted.
    Have emailed Gavin as recommended above.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Get Ofcom involved. I used Ofgem for a dispute with NPower and they were fantastic.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I always find these threads about BT fascinating as I’ve literally never had a bad experience with BT at all. Line faults, broadband faults (even on other providers!) have been resolved in less than a day and with no fuss, billing questions, contract changes have happened without fail.

Maybe I’m in a favoured group.

zippykona

They’ve given us 6 months free and a special phone number for the next time anything goes wrong.
    Thanks for the Gavin email address.
    STW to the rescue again,cheers people.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘BT ,we want out.’ is closed to new replies.