Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BT Vision
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Anyone got this? I've just been on the phone to them and it sounds a bit confusing. I've got Sky at the moment with standard channels plus music, entertainment, etc. pretty much everything except movies and sports. I don't want to lose stuff like Eurosport, Extreme, Film4, etc. but it seems that you don't necessarily get those channels but you can pick programmes from them – is that right? Can I just get a list of channels so I can compare like for like?

Help!

JamesP
    Free Member

Its freeview with a PVR. You need to have BT broadband too. It doesn't have any extra tv channels over freeview but you can get on demand tv – films, music, tv shows. Some you pay for (films) a lot you don't (tv shows etc).

You wont get Eurosport or Extreme. You will get Film4 but not Film4+1

ddmonkey

You can now get ESPN.

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, she said about ESPN for a one off fee of £10, but I don't give a toss about the footie.

The package will save me about £8 a month, plus I'll get a hard disc box so we can record stuff, but I just want to be sure I'm not going to miss out. Suppose I better start taking more notice of what I watch on the channels I'll lose. With MotoGP being on the beeb now (despite crap commentary) that one's covered.

ddmonkey

In the offing is the Ofcom ruling on Sky wholesaling their channels. If they force Sky to do it then you'll get more channels on Vision.

uplink
    Free Member

You do know you'll still need a good TV aerial with BT Vision?

TBH – I'd look at Freesat, you can use the same dish & cabling as Sky + you'll have the option of streamed BBC iPlayer
    Look at getting a Humax Foxsat HDR Freeview+ box
    Ton will sort you a good price, no subscription

trailmonkey

I've got it. Always lots of good stuff to watch. I'd reccomend it.

Rickos
    Free Member

You do know you'll still need a good TV aerial with BT Vision?

BT girl checked our line and said it was good enough, so I'm guessing ours would be cable.

JamesP
    Free Member

No. It wont be cable. You have to connect the 'box' to your BT wireless box – you get a an adapter that routes it through the mains plug – and to the regular coax aerial. It requires a reasonably fast connection to work as OD is through the web. If your connection is slow the picture freezes and playback is stuttery.

MrNutt
    Free Member

don't do it, unless you like the idea of watching half a film then it crashing, having multiple replacement boxes and dealing with BT call centers where you get to explain everything over and over again until you lose the will to live.

Rickos
    Free Member

😯

Mark

-1 to MrNutt.

Had mine for 3 years. Not a problem.. not one.

the_sea_is_silent
    Free Member

I never had a problem with BT Vision. They do have channels other than freeview but they are hidden away in the TV section. You pay extra for them as well.

The main worry when I was with BT was their routers. I was with BT for two and a half years and went through 5 bt homehubs. They really are a sack of cack!

MikeG

mr nutt +100

BT vision is awful. You need at least 2.5mb for any of the ondemand stuff to work, we've had it for a couple of years and the biggest issue I've got is that the bloody box won't buffer anything. When we got it we had 2.7mb BB fairly consistently and it worked ok, then BT 'updated' some wiring in the village and we now get 1.8mb tops (we are 3.5miles or so from the exchange which is in the next village) as a result none of the ondemand stuff works. At all. There is a 160gb HD in the box, why BT won't allow the machine to sit there and buffer the programme in the background then pop up a box to tell you it's available and you've got 24/48hrs or whatever to view it before it gets deleted. I wouldn't even mind too much if it started playing then paused to buffer but it just throws an error message telling you to phone BT.
    Also if it's not connected to t'internet it won't show a guide or allow recordings so if your router/broadband goes down you can't do anything other than watch live TV.
    Oh yes, a while ago a firmware upgrade was forced which added 5mins hard padding at the end of a show, this has the effect of throwing up recording conflicts if you are trying to record 2 shows back to back while either watching or recording on the other tuner. This was done because some people complained that there was no way to globally add soft padding to every recording. This renders it useless if you want to use series recordings as eachtime the guide updates you have to go in and resolve the conflicts.
    Mines now in a box in the spare room.
    Get freesat.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Mine works fine most of the time, I think the 5 minutes padding has been corrected/removed.

I've found I've had more issues with TV reception than broadband speed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘BT Vision’ is closed to new replies.