Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • BT Landline, seems to be getting pricey so what are the alternatives?
  • rockhopper70

Most recently, the monthly DD has hit the wrong side of £60.
    I think it has jumped a bit as they now charge £5 for the sport, which I could quite happily live without (watching only moto GP).
    I get unlimited wifi through the work installed line at home so my own router isnt even switched on.
    I use @btinternet as my email address.
    I use their cloud service for photos.
    I don’t use BT vision.
    Call costs are in the region of £15 per month so it just seems that all the bolt-ons may not be of value any more.
    So I was wondering what the options out there are.

I don’t need satellite/sky channels.
    Broadband is taken care of by work.
    I keep wondering if I could leave them completely and just use mobiles for phoning and work for wifibut that might be too radcial a jump for now!

spooky_b329

If you have broadband from work and don’t care for the telly, I can’t see why you’d keep a landline!

Cougar

Why not get rid?

The only reason I still have a land line is as an ADSL bearer. Other than my mother, the only people who ever call it are folk enquiring about my recent accident and mis-sold PPI.

just5minutes
    Free Member

is the broadband from work through a different landline?

rockhopper70

yes, the work line is a seperate number that also goes through to a FAX machine.
    I think using that number for personal calls may flag with our billing team.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ask them if they’ll let you charge out personal calls, most will be ok about this. If they’re doing it right they’ll have made sure that they’re getting a good package.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Or get a giffgaff 12 or 15 quid monthly sim only deal which should provide all the talk time you need

nealglover
    Free Member

yes, the work line is a seperate number that also goes through to a FAX machine.
    I think using that number for personal calls may flag with our billing team.

So don’t use it, presumably you have a mobile, upgrade your tariff to one with unlimited calls and you are sorted.

We haven’t had an actual phone plugged into our landline for years, I don’t even know what the number is.

Would ditch it in a shot if it wasn’t needed for the broadband.

j4mie
    Free Member

Same again, had to get a new line installed when I moved in but never a phone plugged into it and not a clue what the number is. Wish I was in a cable area so could just get virgin broadband without paying for a landline.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Better keeping a phone plugged in for emergency calls, other than that everything can be served through Skype or the like.

Murray

I spend 4 or 5 hours a day on calls when I work from home (2 or 3 days a week). I still find the landline clearer and more reliable than Skype or mobile.

I may also be an old fossil 🙂

just5minutes
    Free Member

why don’t you junk your own landline, keep the work one and then run a SIP based phone on the broadband e.g. Vonage, if you still need your own “personal” number. That would probably still cost £7 a month but it’s still cheaper than paying for a second landline and you’d still get a geographic 01 / 02/ 03 number

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘BT Landline, seems to be getting pricey so what are the alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.