Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BT Infinity – anyone signed up?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’m usually immune to advertising, being naturally sceptical, but I’m tempted by BT Infinity.

My calculations tell me that it’ll cost me about an extra £10 per month over what I have at the moment with TalkTalk for an increase in speed from around 5Mbps download and pish Kbps to around 35Mbps download and 7Mbps upload (according to BT!)

Has anyone taken the plunge on this and if so, what were your experiences? Data rates as advertised or slower? Hassle-free installation? Did you switch to a BT line from another provider?

Cheers,

SC

CountZero

Don’t know that there’s that many actually connected to it as yet. I’ve registered an interest, and the site said that it’s coming soon to my town, but how much and how soon is anyone’s guess. I’m supposed to get 6meg, but actually only get around 1, so the sooner the better.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I signed up a month or so ago.

I was promised a minimum speed of 19Mbps. So far it’s been around 36Mbps.

Installation was easy. They do it all for you. I now have a new phone socket, a router and wireless hub.

I was with BT already and was offered Infinity as a free upgrade (which probably means I’m paying too much).

Overall happy.

Timmo
    Free Member

there working on the exchange up the road and around the village, so keeping eyes on it,
    my peak time speeds are embarrasing at the mo!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yes I got it last week, installation was a breeze for the engineer and took him about 20 minutes, can’t say I’ve noticed the speed increase although it is faster according to the various broadband speed websites. I was already with BT and I’m now paying less per month for Infinity although there was a £25 setup fee and I am tied into BT for another 18 months

ourmaninthenorth

Exchangea are being enabled by Openrreach for all the big ISPs at a pretty rapid rate, and so you won’t just have to go with BT for fibre broadband.

Note that you have to take your phone and broadband from the same provider if you have fibre.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Wish it was an option near us – my best speed is 1Mb during the day when everyone else is out at work.

Am I correct in understanding Infinity is fibre optic broadband? We had this with Virgin in our last house and it was bloody marvellous.

ourmaninthenorth

Am I correct in understanding Infinity is fibre optic broadband? We had this with Virgin in our last house and it was bloody marvellous.

Fibre to the geen cabinet in the street. Then it’s copper to your house. Voice side is copper all the way.

cxi
    Free Member

I’ve got FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) with Enta (Infinity is BT’s name for FTTC when they sell it), though line rental remains with BT (Retail) so you don’t have to have both with the same provider (though technically Enta are using BT Wholesale for the local FTTC services).

Estimate was 16.6 down / 7.9 up. Sync’ speed has settled down at 33Mbps down / 10Mbps up which is a huge improvement on the ~3 down / 1 up I got before.

BT engineer will do a few bits when he comes to install the VDSL modem – he moved our master socket upstairs and replaced a bit of external wiring that was ropey.

Goes like stink in general 😀

ourmaninthenorth

line rental remains with BT (Retail) so you don’t have to have both with the same provider (though technically Enta are using BT Wholesale for the local FTTC services)

Er, without outing myself too much, right now I’m negotiating contracts with Openreach for this. It’s an industry wide issue that FTTC is only WLR or MPF compatible, and SMPF isn’t compatible with FTTC.

I think you’ll find you’re actually MPF.

EDIT – just a thought – Enta must be a BT reseller, so your underlying ptovider is BT.

djglover
    Free Member

BT are doing this for the upstream business not the end customer, they will make a fortune from other ISPs so might be worth waiting for them to bring better offers in the market

cxi
    Free Member

Can you get anymore TLAs in a post? 😉

I was trying to clarify the point that if your line rental is billed by BT Retail, Infinity is not your only choice for an FTTC service.

ourmaninthenorth

Can you get anymore TLAs in a post?

I work in the communications industry. I am non technical, but there are times I overhear conversations which are almost entirely made up of TLAs.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Would be great for my business but seeing as we’re in the sticks I think I’ll be waiting a long time 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

Would be great for my business but seeing as we’re in the sticks I think I’ll be waiting a long time

Carrier ethernet? SIP trunk?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BT Infinity – anyone signed up?’ is closed to new replies.