Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • BT Infinity
  • ourmaninthenorth

BT or BT

Not so. Other ISPs have it for sale, but they’re not pushing it yet.

Does Infinity put fibre to your actual house then? Or just to the cabinet?

Fibre (carrying data; copper carries voice) from exchange to green cabinet in street. Copper carries data + voice to your house. You need a special (VDSL) modem, which can only be plugged into the master socket. Modem is powered, so it needs a socket nearby.

I had it (albeit via the ISP I work for) for free when it was being tested. Only the 40/20 product was available then. Wasn’t bad, but then I moved house and I have to tolerate the shit line BT deems to deliver from the exchange. Still get my phone, broadband, mobile and youview TV for free though… 😀

EDIT: given the amazing shitness of Openreach to actually think hard about how to get fibre to anywhere but densely populated urban areas, the sooner BT loses control of the last mile, the better.

damo2576
    Free Member

Love it. Was a bit worried about switching from Virgin to BT and whether I would really get the claimed speeds.
    But 60mg down and 20mg up and I’m happy!

daveh
    Free Member

You need a special (VDSL) modem, which can only be plugged into the master socket.

Why is that? Do you get a different master faceplace? I have cat5 running from my master socket to where the computer lives, is it not possible to have the router there?

damo2576
    Free Member

Why is that? Do you get a different master faceplace?

I dont know why but yes you get a new master faceplate. You need the VDSL router plugged into this, then cat5 to the wifi homehub router.

legend
    Free Member

rewski –
    Very happy with BT Infinity, oh and when I spoke to customer services it was a lovely young chap from Newcastle.

Tech support? Last time I had to get in touch with BT tech folk it certainly wasn’t in the UK or any use whatsoever

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘BT Infinity’ is closed to new replies.