Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bt homehub2, Linux and Eeepc 901 netbook
  • bri-72

The simple answer is don’t let old people near technology.

Anyway some IT hElp needed.

Dads signed up to BT as got given said netbook by friend. He has zero pc knowledge so I get asked to setup.

Hub setup and I can connect no probs on my laptop via wifi.

Netbook won’t connect wirelessly or via Ethernet.

Google searching I think netbook runs Linux Os (ubuntu?) and that may be issue.

All the Linux forums I’ve found have possible solutions which basically seem to involve re-programming the OS without any clues how to do that.

Before telling him he’s either signed an 18m contract for nowt or needs to buy a cheap laptop, anyone any ideas?

Even if could get Ethernet connection better than nothing.

Homehub works , netbook can detect the wifi, and I am pitting correct SSID and WEP in. Linux I think maybe just doesn’t work with BT homehub without some mods.

geoffj

I was going to suggest changing the encryption to WPA, but if you can’t see it using the cable, that probably isn’t going to help.

luked2
    Free Member

as got given said netbook by friend.

Did it work when connected to this friend’s network? (i.e. did you see it working yourself).

Could just be that the network settings are all scrambled. Seems very unlikely that it’s something special about BT homehub.

If so, it might be easy enough to unscramble if you know what you’re doing, or just re-install (prob simplest and easiest anyway).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Bt homehub2, Linux and Eeepc 901 netbook’ is closed to new replies.