Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BT charges for 1571 and Caller Display
  • kjcc25
    Free Member

It appears BT, from Jan 4th, are starting to charge for 1571 and caller display. They will cost £1.75 each per month. If you have ever used 1571, even once, it is assumed you want it. It is up to you to opt out. It seems the charges are to help subsidize the costs of BT Sport. Having spent yesterday cancelling the above on my mother and mother in law’s BT accounts and having to negotiate BT’s menu system to do i,t I would imagine there are going to be many people subsidizing BT Sport. If you have a BT account it may be worth checking to see if you will be paying the extra charges.

Drac

Yeah I got an emails telling me about that and a few letters plus warnings on my bills.

Can change it online it minutes if I need be.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Caller display was always chargable was it not ?

I remember you used to get an extra box that sat next to the phone.

allthepies
    Free Member

There was a way of getting it free by opting in to some “security” type service. Anyway, all change now and it will be chargeable.

Cougar

BT wrote to me the other day telling me that they’re changing my talk plan.

Which is interesting, given I’ve been with Sky for the last five years.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Can change it online it minutes if I need be.

Drac – how do you do that? I’ve looked at mine and can’t see anything?

jfletch
    Free Member

Depending on your deal with BT you may not need to pay the new charge. I think some new customers will get it free for a bit longer.

If you aren’t tied to BT I’d be telling them you are leaving ASAP and getting them to give you a discount equal to this new charge. If not then actually leave.

Sky crept their prices up for years and then lost out big style to BT due to BT sport. Due to this Sky will now offer you a very good deal to go to them. In a year you can go back to BT again if Sky do the same trick.

Drac

Log into My BT and then select My Phone finally calling features, should be able to select your options on there.

BT Privacy with Caller Display will cost £1.75 a month from 4 January 2014, but existing customers of the service can pre-register to continue getting it free for 12 months°. Find out more and register at bt.com/freecallerdisplay. BT Privacy with Caller Display will remain free for BT Basic customers.

bigyinn
    Free Member

BT got their arses kicked a few years ago by Ofcom for putting the Onus on customers to Opt out of something similar, rather than Opt in.
    I can’t see this ending well for BT AGAIN!

Drac

It is Opt In.

oldboy
    Free Member

Phoned BT before the holiday and told them I wasn’t going to pay it. I was immediately advised that I could have it for free if I signed up with them for a further 12 months. Told them “no thanks” and my 01571 and Caller Display service disappeared overnight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BT charges for 1571 and Caller Display’ is closed to new replies.