Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • BT as an employer?
  • dirtyboy

Anyone work for BT on here, I’m joining them as an air conditioning engineer with there inhouse facilities company BTFS. Just looking for feedback before I sign up possibly this week, Thanks in advance DB

sc-xc

Very good IMO. I work for GS, although in the process of Tupeing to a different org.

Lots of benefits, decent support.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I’m starting with BT MSL tomorrow, really looking forward to it.
    I have been contracting for the last 12 Years and jumped at the chance to go permanent. HTH

codybrennan
    Free Member

All my BT mates seem to love it. I work for the No. 1 rival, and would happily switch to BT.

z1ppy

Didn’t they sack Jedi for some minor infringement of IT policy, admittedly he’s not complaining about his new career

dirtyboy

A friend put me on to the job and he’s one of the laziest engineer’s I know, and he’s done about 8yrs with them, so I guess it can’t be too taxing.

CHB

Glad they are good as an employer, shame they are dire for customer service.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Just remember that their entire finance department is in India, so god help you if you have a problem with your salary 👿

spooky_b329

Pretty good here…plenty of disgruntled employees around as with most large employers but I appreciate how lucky we are. Decent union has fought for pay rises each year and no compulsory redundancies as of yet.

Still seems to be a ‘job for life’ for the majority of people.

ourmaninthenorth

You’ll develop that “we’re still a monopoly and can do what we like” attitude that those of us who work at other CPs just love….

spooky_b329

Well I’m an engineer on the front line in Openreach and don’t see anything resembling a monopoly. It makes F-all difference as to which service provider is written on the job notes.

Obviously Virgin allow all CPs to use their network at the same price as themselves as well, right?!

whimbrel
    Free Member

Well I’m an engineer on the front line in Openreach. It makes F-all difference as to which service provider is written on the job notes. We treat them all with the contempt that being an effective monopoly allows.

🙂

scotty13
    Free Member

Giant_scum what are you going to be doing with BT MSL?

giant_scum
    Free Member

Field engineer/electrician on BTS installs initially.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Retired last October after 38 years with BT, latter years Openreach as a C3

Not bad employers overall, but there are some pretty awful 1st level line managers who will do anything to get their bonus payments
    Watch out for the performance and attendance procedures, often used to manage(sack)people from the company.

Promotion is pretty much a non-runner so expect to remain at the same grade for many years. Pay is decent enough espcially if you can achieve what was the old Technical Officer grade (C3)

Join the CWU, again not great and in my opinion recommended acceptance of too many loss of terms and conditions, but better off in than out

Employe benefits ok, free broadband and if the price is right sharesave schemes are worth looking at

footflaps

When I were a lad, which was quite some time ago, BT Martlesham Heath was THE place to work if you were a Graduate Engineer. Had the best pay, equipment and resources in the industry. I did a summer placement there when I was at University and really enjoyed it. I suspect a lot has changed though….

A guy on my degree was fully sponsored by them, he joined BT as a technician and they were putting him through University and paying him a wage! Everyone else was very jealous!

ourmaninthenorth

Well I’m an engineer on the front line in Openreach and don’t see anything resembling a monopoly. It makes F-all difference as to which service provider is written on the job notes.

Indeed. Just hit the big MBORC button and head off for a cup of tea 😉

dirtyboy

I love my current job which I’ve done for 12yrs, but hate my current employer? T r who I’ve arrived at via the Tupe process, went from a big multi national company with work mates and a hr department, to a tiny parochial air conditioningcom pany who don’t know what they’re doing and it’s the MD who is 71yrs old rules or out you go despite what my contract state’s.
    I’m taking a 3grand paycut and losing usage of company vehicle
    But working 2hrs less a day and more chance of overtime and standby with bt
    I suspect that my boss may throw money at me to stay but I have a young family and I’m killing myself to live at present.

dirtyboy

Typed on my phone somewhat haphazardly, sorry for the mistakes.

lilchris
    Free Member

My old man spent 40 years with them, and couldn’t wait to get out.

HTH.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘BT as an employer?’ is closed to new replies.