Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BSA 30mm spindle BB's
  • maurizio
    Free Member

Right, hello ladies and gentlemen of STW, I’m wondering what bb options there are out there for running 30mm spindle cranks on a ‘standard’ ( 😆 ) 68/73mm BSA threaded bike AND anyone’s experience of them?

So far I’ve found ethirteen, rotor and praxis all offer such models (and matching expensive cranks) – anyone know anything about durability of any of them?

Many thanks in advance!

shredder
    Free Member

I have E13 TRS+ cranks which are 30mm matched to a E13 XCX/XCX+ bottom bracket with the uprated TiNi bearings.

The bottom bracket was fitted in March and has only seen dry rides due to the weather, and one muddy ride at the weekend.

Came to the bike this Monday and the cranks didn’t want to turn with horrendous noise from the BB.

Im going to contact the distributors as I bought it direct.

From looking around these seem to be a possible option
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id343.html

And BETD are the UK distributors for Enduro bearings so will be making contact to look at options.

convert

Funny you should post this now. I’ve just bought a road rotor 3D+ chainset + BSA30 BB package cheap (I say cheap – I mean daft expensive, but cheaper than the RRP) from Merlin.

Warning – the Rotor BSA30 needs a specific unique tool to fit it. Normally the tool comes with the bottom bracket. The merlin one does not come with the tool and they can’t get me the tool. The only way I can use the BB I bought from them is to buy another one from elsewhere and use the tool that comes with that. More than a bit annoying and tbh I think Merlin should be contributing to the 2nd BSA30 I’m going to have to buy.

The other thing to remember – the Rotor BSA30 only works with a Rotor 3D plus chainset – no other BB30 chainset.

shredder
    Free Member

Convert I have just put the phone down to a chap in the tech dept at Rotor. Who informs me that the BSA30 would work perfectly with my E13 cranks. The Rotor BB also has the Enduro bearings in.

convert

Who informs me that the BSA30 would perfectly with my E13 cranks.

That’s interesting to hear – Everything I’ve read is that the Rotor cranks have a longer shaft than a normal bb30 crank. To use it in a BB30 frame you have to use spacers. This means it will work with a threaded BSA frame with these special external bearing cups. Normal BB30 cranks come up 10mm short. Is the e13 crank longer than a ‘standard’ BB30 crank?

shredder
    Free Member

Good question

STATO
    Free Member

Everything I’ve read is that the Rotor cranks have a longer shaft than a normal bb30 crank.

Thats because E13 cranks are designed for use with external type BB, in the same way as ROTOR cranks. ‘Normal’ BB30 cranks are too short as you say.

convert

For reference the rotor crank has a shaft that is 116.5mm long including the splined bit and has a 91mm smooth shaft section.

convert

Thats because E13 cranks are designed for use with external type BB, in the same way as ROTOR cranks.

Ahh, didn’t know that. Good to know there might be other options (e12 are just mtb aren’t they?). I went for this as I’m fitting the cranks with a power2max power meter and want to swap between a BB30 and a BSA frame. If I could find a cheaper crank to put in the bike not fitted with the power meter so it was ridable that would be great.

shredder
    Free Member

Would appear my spindle measures 113mm.
    Crank set

convert

I think as Stato says you should be good to go there. the difference to mine will be the way the cranks attach – I think the smooth bit is the important bit.

STATO
    Free Member

I suppose it depends on the width of the BB to tell if the rotor one will work with E13 cranks, here is the E13 BB tho link

maurizio
    Free Member

A moment of silence for shredders BB… Good to know, sad to hear! Unless I hear anything positive I reckon standard 24mm might be better, at least that way theres a ‘ahem’ host of reliable BBs out there

Northwind

shredder – Member

From looking around these seem to be a possible option
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id343.html

I cannot unrecommend enduro BB bearings lowly enough, they are proper sub-deore shit.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Right, hello ladies and gentlemen of STW, I’m wondering what bb options there are out there for running 30mm spindle cranks on a ‘standard’ ( ) 68/73mm BSA threaded bike AND anyone’s experience of them?

I’ve got the Enduro BB for 30mm spindles in a BSA frame and ceramic bearings, running Cannondale Si cranks. All works well, no longevity issues.

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve put Enduro bearings in my BB

Started to squeak on NDS so opened em up and they were almost dry. DS was fine

I’ve now regreased em and taken off (nearly) all pressure on the end cap and they seem fine. Not sure how long that’ll last but they’ve barely been ridden and in these dry conditions its not water ingress that’s done it. I’ve put I down to their instructions about not preloading em. They’re not meant to take any lateral pressure apparently

Ill let you know…if they fail I’m going Hope

shredder
    Free Member

Hmm I’m going to speak to BETD who are the UK distributor for enduro bearings I think, to see what options I have.
    Choices are limited due to the crank 30 mm spindle.
    Always the way isn’t it half reviews say the bearings are good the other half not.

tmb467
    Free Member

only half of the ones I put in failed… 🙂

maurizio
    Free Member

tmb – interesting to know.. if i end up getting them i’ll give it a try! But hope dont do the right BB… do they? also 😆

Other than Northwind, i’d always heard that enduro do the best bearings, so if i take the plunge i can always end up replacing the bearings.. not what i want to do mind, but at least the options there i suppose!

Thank you everyone for the helpful answers!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BSA 30mm spindle BB's’ is closed to new replies.