Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bryton 50 or Garmin 800
  • scud
    Free Member

After a bike GPS as i’m sick of iphone battery using Endomondo running out after 4-5 hours.

The more i read the more i seem to get confused especially with the Bryton website and sites that sell them.

Bryton base unit seems to be about £170 and the Garmin can now be had for £230

What i can’t seem to get a straight answer on is:

– Battery life for both
    – Whether OS mapping is available on the Bryton
    – Whether I can put in a start location and where i want to get too for road mapping whilst on the move (bryton seems to suggest that i can only plot routes when it is hooked up to PC)?

Ideally what i require is good road mapping with turn by turn guidance, ideally for me to be able to place in a start and finish point on the move as you would with a car GPS, for the battery life to be able to record a 100mile ride and for it to work with my Sunnto ANT HRM and hopefully cadence sensor. Then if i can get OS mapping on it for off-road it will be a bonus.

Anyone had both or know much about them?

trail_rat
    Free Member

what threw me with the bryton is the fact you must upload to their website – then export as GPX to put it on endomondo/strava

garmin is PnP

MarkN
    Free Member

Why not get a USB battery pack for the Iphone and then it will last all day. This works well for me. http://www.gobabymobile.com/products/10000mah-power-pack.html

whatnobeer
    Free Member

what threw me with the bryton is the fact you must upload to their website – then export as GPX to put it on endomondo/strava

Not true anymore. Though you still cant upload directly to Strava the new software lets you export from the device in any file format you want and save to your hdd. You can then do what ever you want with it.

scud
    Free Member

Hi Mark i have had similar and still not got more than 7 hours out of phone.

Plus i am daft enough to be attempting to ride Manchester to London 250 miles in 24 hours in 6 weeks time and want something i know will be reliable (i know i’ll still need a back up battery for GPS anyway), plus it would be nice not to have to carry iphone on stem.

scud
    Free Member

Right gonna show my ignorance here, what is PnP and hdd??

trail_rat
    Free Member

the phone is a phone.

the GPS is a smaller lighter purpose designed unit that does so for 18 hours without wires hanging out of it or cases that increase its size.

and the bonus – should shit go wrong you still have a phone to call someone to pick you up !

bam74
    Free Member

Plug n Play

New bryton software allows you to upload from device to Bryton website. From there you can just click upload to strav, pop in your strava user and password and voila – upload.

trail_rat
    Free Member

plug in and play

when i get back with the garmin i open computer , open strava – connect garmin , press upload new rides – job jobbed.

the bryton just had faaff and workaround written all over it- even though i could have had a 50 with all the gadgets for less than half the cost of the 500 in the end.

– since i smashed my 205 the other week ive been using the iphone app…. its accurate enough but its hardly convienant to have your speed showing in your back pocket really – and theres no where on my bars/stem to mount something the size of an iphone – the dedicated units just do the job with minimal fuss.

clubber
    Free Member

Another option is an older Garmin – 605 or 705.

MarkN
    Free Member

Hi Scud,

What size was your USB battery pack? This is the biggest capacity I have seen as most I had seen were half as powerful at about 5,000 mah.

Another option then is to have a look at The Garmin Montana. It has a rechargeable battery pack that lasts upto 16 hours and then you can replace that with 3 AA’s that will keep it going for up to 22hrs. This will give you turn by turn navigation in the same way as the car sat nave and can be used as such.

Sorry I may not have made this any easier…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont think turn by turn is an issue – hell my 500 does turn by turn if i load a TCX course in.

its the plotting on the move that he wants thats more of an issue….

just strap a garmin muvi to the bars :d

andra
    Free Member

Below is the USB pack i use for traveling abroad, excellent piece of kit, will re-charge my S3 about 7 timme from flat to 100%…

New Trent IMP120D iCarrier 12000mAh Heavy Duty 2A/1A Dual USB Ports External Battery Pack

CraigW
    Free Member

and for it to work with my Sunnto ANT HRM and hopefully cadence sensor.

The Suunto ARM HRM is a proprietary protocol, not compatible with anything else. Its not the same as ANT+, which is used by Garmin, Bryton etc.

michaelbowden

I’ve a mate who had just gone from the Bryton to a Garmin 800 and wishes he’d never spent the money in the Bryton

tc3nitro
    Free Member

You can plot road routes on the fly with the Bryton 50.

I have a 50 and have been nothing but happy with it. I wished i had waited and got the version with OS maps for my MTB but for road use its perfect.

But i have never owned a garmin……

atlaz
    Free Member

For long rides where navigation isn’t needed I’d get an Edge500. I have an 800 as I have a habit of changing routes as I ride and it’s useful to be able to get home without spending time with the iphone out of my pocket.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bryton 50 or Garmin 800’ is closed to new replies.