Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bryson's Law?
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

From a criticism of negative reviews on ‘Trip Advisor’…

“Well, here is a new rule: if you are too stupid to spell ‘disappointed’ even approximately correctly, you are not allowed to take part in public discourse at any level.”

From here, worth reading if you have doubts about TA…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11895215/Britains-heritage-at-risk-due-to–ill-educated-internet-critics-says-travel-writer-Bill-Bryson.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just about given up on their hotel reviews when you realise that most people expect 5* service for 2* prices.

edhornby

he has a point about trip advisor, there seems to be a section of users that don’t understand the principle of ‘if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything’

I hope Bill Bryson then wrote a positive review on TA to push above the negative, his review and the positive rep would outweigh the neg

but there again, anyone with half a brain will filter the daft reviews

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Over on ‘Wings’ a few days ago, The Rev ran a story about obviously biased and inacurate reviews placed on TA for political reasons. I won’t go there.

wwaswas

Over on ‘Wings’ a few days ago, The Rev ran a story

you’ve lost me with that one.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Over on ‘Wings’ a few days ago, The Rev ran a story

you’ve lost me with that one.

It’s a cyber-nat site.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Over on ‘Wings’ a few days ago, The Rev ran a story about obviously biased and inacurate reviews placed on TA for political reasons. I won’t go there.

😆

wwaswas

It’s a cyber-nat site

I had to google that 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I kind-of assume that STW is politically neutral. I may be wrong. If I am, it’s here…

A sour taste

bencooper
    Free Member

I kind-of assume that STW is politically neutral.

😀

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

As someone who seems to be doing a lot of weekends away, I find TA very useful – and you can usually tell who the muppet reviewers are. I’d be more worried about the increasing number of restaurants which actively push people to do TA reviews, and some of the ludicrously favourable reviews for very average places.

And edhornbyseems to be missing the point of TA, which is to have honest reviews, not a massive love-in.

footflaps

there seems to be a section of users that don’t understand the principle of ‘if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything’

Surely the whole point of a review, is to say if there is something wrong with the place?

and some of the ludicrously favourable reviews for very average places.

Although one man’s average is another man’s heaven etc.

aracer
    Free Member

My favourite TA review is this notorious one

Though I also wouldn’t rely on the quality of reviews of certain Edinburgh cafes 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sadly, I find myself using Ta more than I’d like to when travelling.

Was amusing last night to read a review of a Chinese near my hotel which included “I really like it. My aunt and uncle own it.”

All the other reviews were favourable, and I fancied Chinese. I went. It was was excellent! I even met the aforementioned uncle and he was a lovely fellow. Am going to be back there tomorrow. Mexican tonight. Reviews look OK……

However, I agree with the overall sentiment from Bryson. Stupid people shouldn’t be allowed to write. Anything. Not just TA reviews. 😉

markgraylish
    Free Member

However, I agree with the overall sentiment from Bryson. Stupid people shouldn’t be allowed to write. Anything. Not just TA reviews.

STW would be a lot quieter…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bryson's Law?’ is closed to new replies.